Asian Beef Strips
Sesame Fried Greens
Tonight’s entrée and side are both best when served immediately but if you don’t have the room on your stove top finish the beef strips up first and keep warm while making the Fried Greens (they only take 4-5 minutes anyways).
Asian Beef Strips Ingredients:
½ cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon minced orange zest
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
Pinch of hot red pepper flakes
2 pounds flank steak, sliced diagonally into ¼-inch slices
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
4 cups cooked brown basmati rice
1 gallon freezer bag, labeled
2 quart freezer bags
1. In a large bowl, whisk together orange juice, orange zest, ginger, vinegar, soy sauce, honey, and red pepper flakes. Place steak in bowl and toss to coat. Cover bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours.
2. Remove meat from the marinade and whisk cornstarch into the marinade. Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Swirl to coat.
3. Stir-fry the meat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add marinade and cook, stirring, until sauce is thickened. Drizzle with sesame oil. Remove from heat and serve half immediately over half of the rice.
Makes 2 entrees, each entree serves 4
Let cool completely. Divide steak and rice into 1 quart freezer bags, removing as much air as possible before sealing. Place quart bags into labeled gallon freezer bag.
Remove from freezer to defrost. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place rice in a baking dish and top with steak. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Sesame Fried Greens Ingredients:
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
2 teaspoons canola oil
2 pounds bok choy, cut across into 1-inch wide strips
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1. Toast the sesame seeds in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat until golden, about 2 minutes, stirring frequently; set aside.
2. In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil over high heat until very hot but not smoking. Add the bok choy and stir-fry until it begins to soften slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add the soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil and cook until just done, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
4. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve immediately.