2 cups white sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1 Tablespoon corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1. Butter sides of a large heavy saucepan.
2. Combine sugar, buttermilk, baking soda, butter and corn syrup in pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
3. Using a pastry brush dipped in hot water, wash down and sugar crystals on side of pan.
4. Attach a candy thermometer to pan, making sure thermometer does not touch bottom of pan.
5. Increase heat to medium and bring to a boil. Do not stir while syrup is boiling. Continue to cook until syrup reaches softball stage (Approximately 234 to 240 degrees F). Test about ½-teaspoon syrup in ice water. Syrup should easily form a ball in ice water but flatten when held in your hand.
6. Remove from heat, add vanilla. DO NOT STIR until syrup cools to approximately 200 degrees.
7. Using a medium speed of an electric mixer, beat fudge until thickened and no longer glossy. Stir in nuts.
8. Pour into a buttered 8- inch square pan. Chill for a minimum of 3 hours. Cut into 1-inch squares.
Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas with activities every day from December 1st until Christmas Day!