Country Biscuit and Beef Pie
1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 celery rib, finely chopped
1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas and carrots, thawed and drained
1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ cup reduced fat (2%) milk
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1. In a large nonstick frying pan, cook the beef, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
2. Add the peas and carrots, tomato sauce, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until heated through.
3. Coat a 9 inch pie plate with cooking spray. Spoon beef mixture into pie plate and set aside.
4. In a small bowl, combine the biscuit mix, cheese, rosemary, and basil.
5. Stir in milk and butter just until moistened.
6. Spoon dough over meat mixture, spreading evenly.
7. Place pie plate onto a baking sheet.
8. Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Makes 6 servings
1 serving equals:
14 grams fat (5.5 grams saturated fat)
59 mg cholesterol
971 mg sodium
31 grams carbohydrate
5 grams fiber
22 grams protein