Ashleigh is an English baby girl’s name that means “dweller near the ash tree meadow”. Ashleigh is a variant spelling of the extremely popular name Ashley. The variant spelling comes from the name Leigh.
Meaning of the name Ashleigh:
English: dweller near the ash tree meadow
Origin of the name Ashleigh:
Ashleigh is a baby girl’s name of English origin that means “dweller near the ash tree meadow”. Ashleigh is a feminine variant spelling of the unisex name Ashley.
Symbolism of the name Ashleigh:
Ashleigh is related to ash trees. Ash trees are sacred in many cultures. In some places, ash wood was burned because the smoke was thought to ward off evil spirits. In ancient Greece, ash trees were sacred to the god Poseidon and also associated with the sun.
Style of the name Ashleigh:
Gender of the name Ashleigh:
Ashleigh is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Ashleigh:
Number of syllables in the name Ashleigh:
Emotion evoked from the name Ashleigh:
Ashleigh evokes feelings of competitiveness and joy.
Alternative spellings for the name Ashleigh:
Ashlea, Ashlee, Ashley, Ashlie
Nicknames for the name Ashleigh:
Popularity of the name Ashleigh:
According to the Social Security Administration, Ashleigh is a popular baby girl’s name. Ashleigh was in the top 1000 baby names list from 1974 to 2009. It peaked at #176 in 1991.
Related names for the name Ashleigh:
Great middle names for the name Ashleigh and their meanings:
- Harper (harp player)
- Maia (water)
- Scarlett (scarlet, red)
- Willa (resolute protection)
- Florence (flourishing, prosperous)
- Josephine (Jehovah increases)
- Eleanor (ancient north)
- Elizabeth (pledged to God)
Famous people with the name Ashleigh:
- Ashleigh Adele Ball (Canadian voice actress and singer)
- Ashleigh Mannix (Australian singer)
- Ashleigh Gray (Scottish theater actress)
- Ashleigh Banfield (Canadian TV journalist)
- Ashleigh McIvor (Canadian Olympic skier)
Ashleigh in popular culture:
- Ashleigh Griffen (literature, “Thoroughbred” series by Joanna Campbell)
- Ashleigh Aurelian Wentworth (literature, “All my sisters” by Judith Lennox)
- Ashleigh (television, “About a Boy”)
- Ashleigh (comics, “Scion”)
- Ashleigh Reid (video games, “Apex Legends”)