Gilberto is an upbeat and lyrical baby name for boys. Known for its deep medieval roots, this name also has an unmistakable Latin flair. For the past century, it has also remained relevant in popular culture. Gilberto is the name of a character in the Call of Duty series, and Gilberto Weasel was a character in the Servamp of Wrath series. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Gilberto:
Germanic: Bright pledge
Origin of the name Gilberto:
Gilberto is the Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese variation of the name Gilbert. This name combined the Old Germanic element gisil (meaning “pledge” or “hostage”) with the term beraht (meaning “bright”).
Symbolism of the name Gilberto:
Gilberto is the Romance language spelling of the name Gilbert. Germanic in origin, this name entered England via the Norman conquest of 1066. The Gilberto variation also spread through places like the Iberian Peninsula via descendants of Germanic tribes (such as the Vandals and Visigoths). During the medieval period, the most famous bearer of the name was St. Gilbert of Sempringham. Revolutionary for his inclusion of both men and women at the same monastery, St. Gilbert founded the religious order known as the Gilbertines. The symbol of St. Gilbert was the black lamb.
Style of the name Gilberto:
Gender of the name Gilberto:
Gilberto is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Gilberto:
Number of syllables in the name Gilberto:
Emotion evoked from the name Gilberto:
The name Gilberto evokes feelings of power and promise.
Alternative spellings for the name Gilberto:
Nicknames for the name Gilberto:
Popularity of the name Gilberto:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Gilberto was the 1,181st most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Gilberto:
Great middle names for Gilberto and their meanings:
- Anselm (helmet of God, divine protection)
- Bonifacio (good fortune)
- Clifford (cliff-side ford, river crossing)
- Evaristo (well pleasing)
- Donnie (ruler of the world)
- Ivor (archer, bowman, yew warrior)
- Lamar (the sea)
- Mason (stone worker)
- McKay (son of the fiery one)
- Rami (archer, shooter, thrower)
- Rodrigo (famous ruler)
- Tatum (bringer of joy, cheerful homestead)
- Yakov (supplanter)
Famous people with the name Gilberto:
- Gilberto Arribas (actor)
- Gilberto Ribeiro Gonçalves (footballer)
- Gilberto “Giba” Amauri de Godoy Filho (volleyball player)
- Gilberto Passos “Gil” Moreira (singer)
- Gilberto Aceves Navarro (painter)
- Gilberto Hernández Ortega (artist)
- Gilberto Santa Rosa (singer)
- Gilberto Bosques Saldívar (diplomat)
- Gilberto Martínez Solares (actor)
- Gilberto Adame Soltero (footballer)
Gilberto in popular culture:
- Gilberto (character in the Call of Duty series)
- Gilberto Weasel (character in the Servamp of Wrath series)