Harold is a truly classic name. Coming into English from words that predate modern European languages, it's one of the oldest English names on the books. Read on to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Harold:
Old English: Military ruler
Origin of the name Harold:
Harold is a name of Old English origin that means “military ruler”.
Symbolism of the name Harold:
Harold generally symbolizes strength and leadership, especially of the leadership of others from positions of power.
Style of the name Harold:
Gender of the name Harold:
Harold is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Harold:
Number of syllables in the name Harold:
Emotion evoked from the name Harold:
Harold tends to evoke emotions of nostalgia and familiarity in most who read the name.
Alternative spellings for the name Harold:
Nicknames for the name Harold:
Popularity of the name Harold:
According to the Social Security Administration, Harold last ranked as one of the most popular names in the United States as the 932nd most popular baby name. It reached its peak of popularity in 1917 when it was the 12th most popular baby name.
Related names for the name Harold:
Great middle names for Harold and their meanings:
- Alexander (defender of men)
- Oliver (olive tree)
- James (Supplanter)
- Charles (free man)
- Arthur (bear)
- Johnathan (Gift from god)
- Simon (to hear)
- August (to increase)
Famous people with the name Harold:
- Harold Bailey (American football player)
- Harold ‘Hal' Holbrook (American actor)
- Harold Perrineau (American actor)
- Harold Steinbrenner (American baseball team owner)
Harolds in popular culture:
- Harold Finch (character, Person of Interest)
- Harold ‘Hal' Jordan (character, Green Lantern)
- Harold Hutchins (character, Captain Underpants)