Kaia is a baby girl’s name that has several different origins and meanings. Kaia can mean “earth”, “the sea”, or “each of the two, pure, or torture” depending on the origin. Kaia has continued to grow in popularity since 2000 and doesn’t seem to be slowing down.
Meaning of the Name Kaia
Kaia as a given name has many different and unrelated origins. In many Indian languages Kaia means “earth” and is derived from the Latin Gaia. In Hawaiian Kaia means “the sea”. In Scandinavian languages Kaia means “each of the two, pure, or torture” and is derived from Greek.
Kaia is a name tied to both the earth and the sea which have powerful symbolism of creativity, strength, force of will, and emotional depth.
Nicknames for Kaia
Kaia evokes feelings of adventure and joy. It can be a bit difficult to find a nickname based off the name Kaia, but that gives you more of an opportunity to create a nickname that's unique to the person in your life. To get you inspired, we've created this list of possible options:
Kaia Name Details
Gender: Kaia is traditionally considered to be a girls name.
Alternative Spelling for Kaia
Kaia Name Popularity
According to the Social Security Administration, Kaia first became popular in 2000 and popularity has risen steadily since then. Kaia ranked #302 in 2020.
Related Names for Kaia
Great Middle Names for Kaia and Their Meanings
- Amari (eternal)
- Leilani (a heavenly flower)
- Moana (deep ocean or sea)
- Hani (joyful)
- Cerys (love)
- Elsie (pledged to God)
- Rhian (maiden)
- Astrid (divinely beautiful)
- Imogen (maiden)
- Eloise (healthy; wide)
- Evelyn (desired; or water, island)
- Flora (flower)
Famous People Named Kaia
- Kaia Kanepi (Estonian tennis player)
- Kaia Beck (American reality TV personality of “The Real World: Hawaii”)
- Kaia Lynne Wilson (American musician)
- Kaia Calaway (daughter of American wrestler The Undertaker)
Kaia in Popular Culture
- Kaia Stokes (television, “Home & Away”)
- Kaia Sellers (television, “Seven Deadly Sins”)
- Kaia Nieves (television, “Supernatural”)