Myra is a beautiful name for girls with a vintage feel. It was only created in the 1600s but has been popular ever since. Even now, Myra is a top 600 name choice in America for girls.
Meaning of the name Myra:
Greek: sweet-smelling oil
Origin of the name Myra:
A poet named Fulke Greville invented the name Myra in the 1600s as a nickname for Miranda. Lovers of his work began to use Myra in their novels and poems, including Sinclair Lewis and Gore Vidal. Some believe that Greville based the name Myra on the Latin word “myrra” which means “myrrh,” a type of fragrance.
Symbolism of the name Myra:
Myra means “sweet-smelling oil” because of the word “myrrh.” Remember, Greville likely came up with the name from the Latin “myrra” which translates to “myrrh.” “Myrrh” is a resin with a beautiful fragrance.
Style of the name Myra:
Gender of the name Myra:
Myra is a cute baby name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Myra:
Number of syllables in the name Myra:
Emotion evoked from the name Myra:
Myra feels wholesome and simple. It is a natural name that is easy for use.
Alternative spellings for the name Myra:
Nicknames for the name Myra:
Popularity of the name Myra:
Myra was around a top 300 name, with only a couple spots above in a few years, until 1961 in America. It ranked highest in 1942 at number 216. Myra is still close to a top 500 name now, however, ranking at number 556 in 2020.
Related names for the name Myra:
Great middle names for Myra and their meanings:
- Brynn (hill, mound)
- Claire (clear, bright)
- Sage (wise man)
- Grace (God's grace)
- Lenoir (dark-haired, swarthy)
- Kay (pure, clear)
- Kathleen (pure)
- Josephine (Yahweh shall grow)
Famous people with the name Myra:
- Myra Hess (pianist)
- Myra Kraft (philanthropist)
- Myra Amos (singer)
- Myra Shirley (Belle Starr's birth name, wrestler)
- Myra Bradwell (publisher, activist)
- Myra Taylor (R&B singer)
- Myra Soble (Russian spy)
- Myra MacPherson (historian, author)
Myras in popular culture:
- Myra Breckinridge (main character from novel by Gore Vidal)
- Myra Henshaw (character from “My Mortal Enemy”)
- Myra Hope (character from “The Widow”)
- Myra Monkhouse (character from “Family Matters”)
- Myra (character from “Suits”)
- Myra (character from “Divergent” series)
- Myra Castellanos (character from “The Evil Within” video game)