At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Crock Pot Chicken with Cornmeal Dumplings
1 (9 oz.) pkg. frozen cut green beans
2 cups cubed, cooked chicken
2 cups diced potatoes
1 (13 3/4 oz.) can chicken broth
1 (12 oz.) can vegetable juice cocktail (1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 drops bottled hot pepper sauce
1 1/4 cups packaged biscuit mix (like Bisquick)
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley
2/3 cup milk
1. Thaw beans by placing in strainer and run hot water over beans. Transfer to crock pot.
2. Add chicken, potatoes, chicken broth, vegetable juice, celery, onion, chili powder, salt and hot pepper sauce, mixed together. Cover.
3. Cook on low for 4 hours. Turn to high heat and heat until bubbly. Add water at this point if needed.
4. Combine biscuit mix, cornmeal, 1/2 cup of the cheese and parsley. Add milk and stir until just moistened.
5. Drop by tablespoons onto stew; cover. Cook 2 1/2 hours more (don’t lift cover). Sprinkle dumplings with rest of cheese.