Establish a love and appreciation for freedom by giving your daughter one of these girl names that mean freedom. From Zen to Caroline and beyond, each is feminine and beautiful. Find the perfect name for your little girl.
RELATED: More Baby Names That Mean Freedom
- Yazlyn Yazlyn is an Arabic name that means “freedom.” You can also spell it Yazlin or Yazylnn.
- Palasha Palasha means “open sea,” which is a name that will conjure up the wind in your hair and the spray of water on your face as you sail off to new adventures. It comes from Russia.
- Ambrosia Ambrosia is from Greek mythology and refers to the nectar of the gods. It also means “immortal” or free from the cycles of life, death, and rebirth.
- CarolineMeaning “free,” Caroline is a French name often considered a diminutive of Charles and Charlotte, though it also has additional meanings like “strong and free” in German.
- EnidEnid is a name that means “soul” or “life,” and to exist is to have a naturally-given right to be free.
- Hura Hura is a cute little name that means “freedom.” It comes from Arabic.
- AditiPronounced ah-DEE-tee, this Indian name is both feminine and meaningful. It translates to “boundless” and is the name of the eternal mother goddess in Hindu mythology.
- Blythe – Blythe comes from the Old English word bliðe meaning “cheerful,” “merry,” and “pleasant.” It isn't technically “freedom,” but it does represent freedom from life's usual cares.
- Aafiya This beautiful Islamic name means “freedom from happiness” AKA “health.” It could be a wonderful blessing for a preemie.
- Damica Hailing from France, Damica is a bit of an old-fashioned name, but you could bring it back. It means “with a free spirit” or “friendly.”
- Anenasya Anenasya is a lovely name from the Hindu community. It means “freedom from sin.”
- Abrial Abrial is a French name that means “free” and “open.” It could be a unique alternative to something like April or Avril.
- ZenAnother spiritual name, Zen refers to an enlightened state of awareness where you can live free from worry. It will also invoke peace, calmness, and tranquility.
- Quispe Utterly unique, Quispe comes from the little-known Quechua language of Peru. It means “free” and is pronounced KEES-peh.
- LottieLottie started as a nickname for Charlotte, but it's skyrocketed in popularity in recent years, so it's become a strong and liberty-loving name in its own right.
- Elizabeth – Though it technically means “God is my oath,” Elizabeth could also be a name that invokes Elizabeth Bennet, the headstrong protagonist of Pride and Prejudice.
- Infinity Infinity is a fun hippie name for a little girl who will always walk to the beat of her own drum. Since it never ends, it's never chained down. It's always free.
- CharlizePopularized by actresses like Charlize Theron, this name is yet another offshoot of Charlotte (“free”), but it's got a unique and distinctive zing to it.
- EdenAs the ultimate paradise, Eden is a place that's completely free of sin, vice, and other troubles. It's be a great name for a free and pure-hearted little girl.
- Tori Tori has etymological roots all over the world, but in Japan, it means “bird” and can be used to invoke blue skies, epic journeys, and adventurous spirits.
- FrankieThis cute and tomboyish name could be a great pick for a baby girl who doesn't look like a Francesca or a Francine. It means “free.”
- Amelika Hailing from the small Polynesian island of Tonga, the name Amelika means “freedom.” It has an almost lyrical feeling to it as well as a good, strong meaning.
- Prairie Another name that will make you think of wide, sweeping landscapes, Prairie is beautiful, feminine, and unique without being crazy. It'll make her stand out from her classmates, but it won't ostracize her.
- Busela Busela is from the Zulu language, and it means both “happy” and “free.” Both of these qualities should hand-in-hand when considering freedom names for girls.
- Eleftheria – Eleftheria comes from Greece's national motto eleftheria í thanatos or “freedom or death.” It's a lofty kind of name, but it could be a bold, meaningful choice for your daughter as well.
Peruse thousands of baby names on MomsWhoThink.com! And follow us on Pinterest for more parenting inspiration!
The image featured at the top of this post is ©iStock.com/AlexKhrom.