Corned beef and cabbage is a classic Irish-American dish loved by many. With delicious, juicy, and tender corn beef brisket paired with cabbage and other vegetable like potatoes and carrots, this dish is a great comfort food. The corned beef was originally invented when we didn't have refrigerators, and the beef was cured with salt to preserve the meat. The salt used to preserve the meat resembled corn, and that's where the name came from. If you're ready to make this delicious meal at home, here are four ways to cook your corned beef and cabbage perfectly.
It is very easy to cook corned beef and cabbage on the stovetop. To start, place your brisket and the seasoning packet that comes in the prepackaged corn beef brisket into a pot. This seasoning packet usually includes peppercorns, mustard seeds, bay leaves, dill seeds, and other seasonings. Then, cover the brisket with water and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer with a lid for two hours. After two hours, add in around eight carrots and four pounds of potatoes, both of them peeled and sliced or cubed. Return the liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 35 minutes. Once the beef and vegetables are tender, add your head of cabbage that is cut into wedges and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes covered. Once the cabbage is cooked, remove the brisket and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Place brisket and seasonings into a pot.
- Cover brisket with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for two hours.
- Add in peeled and cut (8) carrots and (4 lbs) potatoes.
- Bring the liquid to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for 35 minutes.
- Add one head of cabbage and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the brisket to rest for 15 minutes.
Cooking your corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot is simple. First, place the potatoes, onions, and carrots in the crock pot, then cover in four cups of water. Then, place the brisket on top of the vegetables and pour six ounces of dark beer on the brisket. Sprinkle the spice packet over the brisket, and cook in the crock pot on high for seven hours. Then, add in the cabbage and cook for an additional hour.
- Add potatoes, onions, carrots, and water to crock pot
- 10 small potatoes, 1 onion, 4 large carrots, 4 cups water
- Lay brisket on top of vegetables.
- Cover in 6 ounces of dark beer and sprinkle the spice packet.
- Cook on high for 7 hours.
- Add 1 head of cabbage and cook for an additional hour.
To cook corned beef and cabbage in an instant pot, place one onion that is quartered at the bottom and place the corned beef on top. Sprinkle in the spice packet and add in four cups of water. Cook these on high for 80 minutes. Then, allow the pressure to release. Once ready, set aside the onions and meat to rest. Then, remove two cups of the water from the pot, and add in four carrots, one pound of potatoes, and one head of cabbage. Cook on high for five minutes and then release the pressure. During this time, you can cut the meat (going against the grain) and prepare it to be served.
- Place 1 onion quartered and brisket into the pot.
- Add the spice packet and 4 cups of water.
- Cook on high for 80 minutes.
- Remove onions and beef, and set aside to rest.
- Add in 4 carrots and 1 pound of potatoes (peeled and quartered), and one head of cabbage (quartered).
- Cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Slice the meat against the grain.
To grill your corned beef and cabbage, preheat the grill on medium heat, which is anywhere between 350 and 450 degrees. Cut up your carrots and onions, you can also add in some celery and fresh garlic and place them on a foil pain. Then place the brisket on top of the vegetables and sprinkle on the spice packet. Rub in the spices and add three cups of water to the pan. Cover the pan in aluminum foil and place onto the grill. Close the grill lid and cook for two hours. Then remove the pan from the grill and add in cabbage and potatoes. Baste the new vegetables with some of the liquid from the pan. Cover again with foil and grill with the lid closed for an additional hour. Remove from the grill, allow the meat to rest for at least five minutes before slicing and then serve.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Place 4 quartered carrots and 1 onion in foil pan.
- Put brisket on top of vegetables and sprinkle the spice packet.
- Add 3 cups of water and cover the pan in aluminum foil.
- Grill with lid closed for 2 hours.
- Add 1 head of cabbage quartered and 10 small potatoes.
- Cover with aluminum foil and grill for an additional hour.
- Remove the pan and allow the brisket to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Elena Veselova/Shutterstock.com.