This rum cake recipe is made with the famous Bacardi rum. It's a crowd pleaser when you want something extra special for dessert. Top with whipped cream and berries or fruit slices for an elegant touch when serving.
Rum Cake Recipe
For the cake:
1 cup chopped pecans – substitute with chopped walnuts if preferred
Jell-O instant vanilla pudding – 4 serving pack
1 18.5 ounce box yellow cake mix (make sure the ingredients do not contain pudding)
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup oil – vegetable or corn
1/2 cup dark Bacardi rum
For the glaze:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup dark Bacardi rum
1. Mix all the other ingredients of the cake except the pecans or walnuts, and mix in blender for couple of minutes.
2. Grease a bundt pan.
3. Spread the pecans/walnuts at the bottom of pan. Pour the blended cake mixture over this.
4. Heat oven to 325 degrees F and bake the cake for 1 hour.
5. Just before cake is ready prepare the glaze.
6. Take a pan and place on medium heat. Put in and melt the butter.
7. Put in the water and sugar. Allow to boil till sugar melts.
8. Turn off the heat and stir in the rum. The rum can release very hot vapor. Please be careful.
9. Once cake is ready, very gently pierce the entire cake using a fork.
10. Keep the cake on a big plate and pour the warm glaze slowly over it, allowing it to seep into the cake.
11. Let the cake stand for at least a couple of hours. There is no need to refrigerate this cake, but it will taste better chilled.
Other Great Cake Ideas
Cake is a favorite dessert of many, and for good reason! It's moist, delicious, and generally easy to make. After giving this delicious rum cake recipe a try, consider some of the other ideas that we have here.
Orange cake is a cake flavor that deserves to be in the spotlight. It's great for any time of year, but we think it works especially well in the summer. Frost with vanilla frosting, or try chocolate for a truly unique flavor experience. Some have compared orange cake to creamsicle in cake form!
Poke cakes are always fun to do with the kids, and are often absolutely delicious! There are so many ways to do a poke cake. One of the most common ways is to make a box Devil's food cake. Once the cake is done, poke tons of holes in it and pour the sauce of your choice over top!
If you've never tried making a banana chocolate cake before, what are you waiting for? This type of cake is a fantastic use for those overripe bananas you end up with every now and again. It's a welcome change from banana bread; while we love banana bread just as much as the next person, we also understand that changing things up every now and again is ideal.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Antonio Gravante/Shutterstock.com.