1 pound fresh ripe or frozen strawberries (if using fresh, save 1/4 lb. unsliced for topping)
3/4 cup orange juice
4 cups French bread cubes
4 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup half and half
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Soak strawberries in orange juice.
2. Place bread cubes in a bowl. Pour melted butter over all, toss to coat.
3. Whisk half and half into beaten eggs.
4. In a mixer on medium speed; combine sugar, cream cheese, vanilla, salt and nutmeg. Blend well. Add the egg/milk mixture and mix well.
5. Add strawberry/orange juice mixture, mixing until fully combined.
5. Pour mixture over buttered bread cubes; cover and refrigerate for one hour or overnight.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes covered, and at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes uncovered. Top with fresh sliced strawberries.