Fresh Pumpkin Pie Recipe
This homemade pumpkin pie recipe uses fresh pumpkin, which is a little more work then our classic pumpkin pie but is well worth it.
The secret ingredient in this recipe mixes perfectly with the incredible tastes of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. That ingredient is molasses! It creates a wonderfully smooth, thick filling with a richer taste. This pumpkin pie recipe is truly old-fashioned homemade goodness in every bite. We recommend you try our recipe for pie crust to complete the after dinner perfection.
Homemade Fresh Pumpkin Pie
1 pastry crust
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 1/4 cups fresh pumpkin puree (instructions below)
2 Tablespoons melted butter, unsalted
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon dark molasses
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup heavy cream, cold
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Heat milk in saucepan over medium heat until it just starts to bubble around the edges. Remove from heat.
3. Beat eggs lightly in large bowl until frothy. Add scalded milk, stirring constantly.
4. Stir in pumpkin, butter, sugar, molasses, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Whisk until thoroughly blended.
5. Pour filling into prepared crust, bake until center is firm, about 45 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
6. When ready to serve, beat chilled cream with mixer until soft peaks form. Serve on top of pie or in a separate bowl for individual serving.
How To Make Pumpkin Puree from A Fresh Pumpkin
1. Split a medium pumpkin crosswise, remove and discard seeds and fibers.
2. Place pumpkin, cut side down, on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 325F until tender, about 1 hour.
3. Scrape pulp away from skin, discard skin.
4. Place pulp in blender or food processor fitted with metal blade, process in batches, until smooth.
5. Push puree through a coarse sieve. Measure 1 1/4 cups puree for recipe, store remaining puree up to 6 months in the freezer (tightly covered).
More Pie Recipes