Last Updated on
Spiced Pumpkin Flan
A twist on traditional flan, this pumpkin flan recipe is bursting with warm fragrant spices. A wonderfully creamy alternative to pumpkin pie, this Latina favorite can be the star of your fall dessert table.
1 ¼ cups plus 1 Tablespoon sugar
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup pumpkin purée
5 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 ½ cups undiluted evaporated milk
⅓ cup water
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup heavy cream, whipped
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1. Melt ½ cup of the sugar over low heat until the sugar forms a golden syrup. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
2. Pour immediately into a shallow cake pan (8x8x2) or a 9-inch pie plate, turning and rolling pan from side to side to coat evenly. Set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Combine ¾ cup of the remaining sugar with the salt and cinnamon. Add the pumpkin purée and eggs. Mix well.
5. Stir in the evaporated milk, water and vanilla. Mix well.
6. Turn into the caramel-coated pan. Set pan into a larger pan of hot water.
7. Bake for 1 ¼ hours, or until a knife inserted into the center of the filling comes out clean. Cool and chill.
8. To serve, run a spatula around the sides of the pan. Turn flan out onto a serving plate.
9. Cut into squares or wedges. Combine the whipped cream with the remaining sugar and ginger. Top flan with the whipped cream mixture.