Dario is a strong and regal baby name that comes from Italy. It is from the same background that Darius is, though Darius is more popular in America. Darius is a top 600 name, and Dario is a top 900 option.
Meaning of the name Dario:
Italian: upholder of the good
Origin of the name Dario:
The baby name Dario is the Italian version of Darius. Darius is the Roman form of the Greek Dareios. Dareios came from the Persian name Darayavahush, however, with three kings of Persia bearing the name.
Symbolism of the name Dario:
Dario means “upholder of the good” because of the ancient Persian name Darayavahush. This latter name comes from two Persian words “daraya” and “vahu.” “Daraya” means “to possess,” and “vahu” means “good.”
Style of the name Dario:
Gender of the name Dario:
Dario is a cultural name for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Dario:
DA-ryo or DA-ree-o
Number of syllables in the name Dario:
Two or three
Emotion evoked from the name Dario:
Dario is an international and strong baby name. It is upper class and serious.
Alternative spellings for the name Dario:
Nicknames for the name Dario:
Popularity of the name Dario:
Dario became a top 1,000 baby name in 1965 at rank 938. The highest the name ranked was in 1981 at number 665, and it was never again on the top 700 list. As of 2020, Dario is a top 900 name at rank 822.
Related names for the name Dario:
Great middle names for Dario and their meanings:
- Justin (just, righteous, upright)
- Valentine (strong, healthy)
- Martin (of Mars, warlike, warrior)
- Sergi (servant, attendant)
- Quentin (the fifth)
- Augustine (to increase, great, magnificent)
- Clarence (bright, clear)
- Sabine (from the Sabine people)
Famous people with the name Dario:
- Dario Argento (Italian filmmaker)
- Dario Bernal (actor, “The House of Flowers”)
- Dario Conca (soccer player)
- Dario Fo (playwright in Italy)
- Dario Marianelli (film composer)
- Dario Saric (basketball player)
- Dario Vidosic (soccer player)
Darios in popular culture:
- Dario Brando (character from “Jojo's Bizarre Adventure”)