Deborah may feel a bit old-fashioned, but it remains one of the top 1,000 baby names for girls in the United States and has been since at least the late 1800s. It was even a top 10 name during the 1950s. It's a biblical moniker with several cute nicknames, and it pairs well with a variety of middle names, ranging from classics to more modern options.
Meaning of the name Deborah:
Origin of the name Deborah:
Deborah is derived from the Hebrew word “dēvōrah,” which means bee.
Symbolism of the name Deborah:
In the Bible, Deborah is the only female judge and prophet, which symbolizes leadership and breaking barriers. Because it means “bee,” the name could also symbolize hard work and prosperity.
Style of the name Deborah:
Gender of the name Deborah:
Deborah is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Deborah:
Number of syllables in the name Deborah:
Emotion evoked from the name Deborah:
The baby name Deborah evokes images of someone who is a problem-solver and who gets things done.
Alternative spellings for the name Deborah:
Nicknames for the name Deborah:
Popularity of the name Deborah:
According to the Social Security Administration, Deborah has been a top 1,000 baby name for girls in the United States since at least 1900. It was even a top 10 name for baby girls during the 1950s. It last ranked at number 907 in 2020.
Related names for the name Deborah:
Great middle names for Deborah and their meanings:
- Rose (flower)
- Adeline (noble)
- Ann (favor or grace)
- Ruby (precious red stone)
- Blake (fair or dark)
- Violet (purple flower)
- Claire (bright, clear)
- Elizabeth (pledged to God)
- Brielle (hunting grounds)
- Snow (snow)
Famous people with the name Deborah:
- Deborah Kerr (actress)
- Deborah Cox (singer)
- Deborah “Debbie” Harry (singer)
- Deborah Voig (singer)
- Deborah “Debbie” Gibson (singer)
Deborahs in popular culture:
- Deborah Owens (character in the book “The Secret Life of Bees”)
- Deborah Gale (character from the book “His Family”)
- Deborah “Debbie” Scott (character on the TV show “One Tree Hill”)
- Deborah “Debbie” Gallagher (character on the TV show “Shameless”)
- Deborah “Debbie” Thornberry (character on the TV Show “The Wild Thornberrys”)