Fern is a plant name that became an option for girls in the late 1800s. This naturalistic option even reached the top 200 list in the early twentieth century. Fern is not even a top 1,000 name in modern times, sitting on the top 3,000 list at number 2,861.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Fern:
Fern became a first name option in Europe and America in the late 1800s. It came from the name of the plant with the same name. Fern derived from the Old English word “fearn”.
Symbolism of the Name Fern:
Fern means “fern” since it comes from the plant name. Remember, in Old England, this word had the spelling of “fearn”.
Nicknames for the Name Fern:
Fern is a unique and pretty name to pick for your child! Every name needs a good nickname, and Fern is no exception. We have a list of the greatest nicknames for Fern here:
- Fee Fee
Style of the Name Fern:
Gender of the Name Fern:
Fern is a floral name for girls.
Pronunciation of the Name Fern:
Number of Syllables in the Name Fern:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Fern:
Fern has a naturalistic and wholesome feel. It is simple yet refined.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Fern:
Popularity of the Name Fern:
Fern was a top 1,000 baby name option in America until 1961 at rank 819. It was on the top 200 list, however, until 1924, remaining a top 500 option until 1946. The highest Fern ever ranked was in 1916 at number 152.
Related Names for the Name Fern:
Great Middle Names for Fern and Their Meanings:
- Celeste (heavenly, celestial)
- Emmaline (work, gentle, brave)
- Penelope (weaver)
- Magnolia (Magnol's flower)
- Guineviere (white fairy)
- Luella (famous female warrior, my God is an oath)
- Adelaide (noble kind)
- Lorelai (alluring)
Famous People with the Name Fern:
- Fern Britton (TV presenter)
- Fern Michaels (romance novelist)
- Fern Fitzgerald (actress, “The Beach Girls”)
- Fern Emmett (actress, “Dead Men Walk”)
- Fern Coppedge (painter)
- Fern Andra (actress, “Zwei Menschen”)
- Fern Sutherland (actress, “The Brokenwood Mysteries”)
Ferns in Popular Culture:
- Fern Arable (character from “Charlotte's Web”)
- Fern (character from “Adventure Time”)
- Fern (character from “Rainbow Fairies”)
- Fern Mayo (character from “Jawbreaker”)
- Fern (character from “Sex and the City”)
- Fern Brantley (character from “A Woman Called Fancy”)
- Fern (character from “NCIS: Los Angeles”)
- Fern Walters (character from “Arthur”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©iStock.com/boggy22.