Francesco is a formal baby name that originated in Italy. It is similar to the feminine version, Francesca. As of 2021, Francesco is a top 2,900 option in America.
Meaning of the name Francesco:
Origin of the name Francesco:
Francesco is the Italian version of the baby name Francis. Francis comes from the Latin option Franciscus. Franciscus translates to “Frenchman,” as it comes from the title of the Frank people from Germany. They got their name from the type of spear that was a popular weapon among the tribe. Francesco became popular in Italy and Europe during the Renaissance because of the sculptor Francesco Laurana.
Symbolism of the name Francesco:
Francesco has the same translations as Francis and Franciscus. It means “Frenchman” in Italian and Latin for this reason. Remember, these names originally represented the French people in the Germanic language.
Style of the name Francesco:
Gender of the name Francesco:
Francesco is an international-sounding name for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Francesco:
fran-CHEHS-ko or fran-SES-ko
Number of syllables in the name Francesco:
Emotion evoked from the name Francesco:
Francesco sounds cultural and formal. It is a refined and mature baby name.
Alternative spellings for the name Francesco:
Nicknames for the name Francesco:
Popularity of the name Francesco:
Francesco was first a top 1,000 baby name in America in 1908 at rank 760. It stayed on and off the list until 1967 when it got a more permanent placement. Francesco was last on the top 2,000 list at rank 999. As of 2021, Francesco is number 2,847 for boys.
Related names for the name Francesco:
Great middle names for Francesco and their meanings:
- Giovanni (God is gracious)
- Paolo (small)
- Enrique (home ruler)
- Alfonzo (ready for battle)
- Jermaine (brother, from Germany)
- Romano (someone from Rome)
- Octavio (eighth)
- Ignatius (fiery, ardent)
Famous people with the name Francesco:
- San Francesco d'Assisi (Saint Francis of Assisi)
- Francesco Petrarca (birth name of poet Petrarch)
- Francesco Scavullo (photographer)
- Francesco Totti (soccer player)
- Francesco Cavalli (Baroque composer)
- Francesco Rosi (film director)
- Francesco Cilea (composer)
- Francesco Cossiga (former prime minister in Italy)
Francescos in popular culture:
- Francesco Bernoulli (character from “Cars”)