Hattie is a baby name that sounds vintage. It did take some time off of the top 1,000 list in the late twentieth century but returned in 2011. It is already a top 500 name again.
Meaning of the name Hattie:
American: home ruler
Origin of the name Hattie:
Hattie began as a nickname for the baby name Harriet in America. Harriet actually began as the anglicized version of Henriette, which was intended as the feminine form of Harry. Harriet was popular in the 1800s, and Hattie followed, eventually becoming a standalone option, soon after.
Symbolism of the name Hattie:
Hattie means “home ruler” as it has the same meaning as Harriet. Harriet, however, ultimately receives this meaning from Harry.
Style of the name Hattie:
Gender of the name Hattie:
Hattie is a vintage and cute baby name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Hattie:
Number of syllables in the name Hattie:
Emotion evoked from the name Hattie:
Hattie is a simple and vintage name. It is sweet and approachable.
Alternative spellings for the name Hattie:
Nicknames for the name Hattie:
Popularity of the name Hattie:
Hattie was a top 100 name until 1914, then a top 200 name until 1940. The name remained on the top 1,000 list until 1968, but it returned with the popularity of other vintage names in 2011. As of 2020, it is already ranked 425 again.
Related names for the name Hattie:
Great middle names for Hattie and their meanings:
- Maude (powerful battler)
- Mae (goddess of spring, increase)
- June (young, born in June)
- Faye (fairy)
- Winslet (Wynn's channel, Wynn's stream)
- Eloise (healthy, wide)
- Blythe (cheerful person)
- Sophia (wisdom)
Famous people with the name Hattie:
- Hattie McDaniel (actress, “Gone with the Wind”)
- Hattie Caraway (first Senator that was a woman)
- Hattie Hayridge (actress, “Red Dwarf”)
- Hattie Williams (stage actress, activist)
- Hattie Beck (birth name of dancer Sally Rand)
Hatties in popular culture:
- Hattie Durham (character from “Left Behind” series)
- Hattie (character from “Ella Enchanted”)
- Hattie Tavernier (character from “Eastenders”)
- Hattie Lewis (character from “The Basic Eight”)
- Hattie McDoogal (character from “Futurama”)