Herman was one of the top names for baby boys in the United States up until 1999, and it was even a top 100 name through the mid 20th century. Today, it's considered more of a “grandpa name,” but it could easily be made current by pairing it with a trendy middle name like Stone, Cruz, Tyler, or Austin. Herman has both pop culture and literary appeal as well.
Meaning of the name Herman:
German: Soldier, army man
Origin of the name Herman:
Herman is a derivative of the Germanic name Hariman. It comes from the elements “hari,” which means “army,” and “man,” which means, well, “man.” For this reason, it translated to “army man” or “soldier.” It was brought to England by the Normans after the conquest.
Symbolism of the name Herman:
Because of its meaning, Herman may symbolize someone who is brave and strong like a soldier. It may also be associated with the hit TV characters Herman Munster and Pee-wee Herman or authors Herman Melville and Hermann Hesse.
Style of the name Herman:
Gender of the name Herman:
Herman is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Herman:
Number of syllables in the name Herman:
Emotion evoked from the name Herman:
The baby name Herman evokes images of someone who is studious and intelligent.
Alternative spellings for the name Herman:
Nicknames for the name Herman:
Popularity of the name Herman:
According to the Social Security Administration, Herman was a top 1,000 baby name for boys in the United States up until 1999. It was even a top 100 name up until the mid-1930s. It last ranked at number 980 in 1999.
Related names for the name Herman:
Great middle names for Herman and their meanings:
- Charles (free man)
- Austin (great, magnificent)
- Jake (supplanter)
- Tyler (tile maker)
- Chistopher (bearer of Christ)
- Mac (son of)
- Stone (stone)
- Cruz (cross)
- Everett (brave as a wild board)
Famous people with the name Herman:
- Herman Melville (author)
- Herman Cain (talk show host and businessman)
- Herman Edwards (football coach and player)
- Herman Miller (screenwriter and producer)
- Herman Terrado (MMA fighter)
Hermans in popular culture:
- Herman Munster (character on the TV show “The Munsters”)
- Herman Hermann (character on the TV show “The Simpsons”)
- Colonel Dietrich (character from the movie “Indian Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark”)
- Herman (character from “Mickey and the Beanstalk”)
- Herman Brooks (character from the TV show “Herman's Head”)