Luka is a rising star among baby names for the new generation. Full of charisma, this name possesses a Slavic edge along with a unique composition that makes it feel fresh. Luka Khalifa is the titular protagonist of the famous children's book by Salmon Rushdie, and Luka Kovač was a popular character on the television series ER. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Luka:
Greek: Person from Lucania
Origin of the name Luka:
Luka is the Serbian, Croatian, Macedonian, and Russian version of the name Luke. The name Luke derives from the Latin root lux (meaning “light”). Alternatively, Luka can also derive from the Greek name Loukas. This derivative was a contraction of the full name Loukanos (meaning “person from Lucania”).
Symbolism of the name Luka:
Luka is a variation of Luke found in most Slavic languages. The name Luke originates from the Latin word lux (meaning “light”). This root produced a host of related names in various spellings, including Luka, Luca, Lucy, Lucian, and Lucina. In Roman mythology, Lucia is an epithet of Juno. Her symbols include the torch and grove of lotus trees known as lucus.
Style of the name Luka:
Gender of the name Luka:
Luka is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Luka:
Number of syllables in the name Luka:
Emotion evoked from the name Luka:
The name Luka evokes feelings of love and luminescence.
Alternative spellings for the name Luka:
Nicknames for the name Luka:
Popularity of the name Luka:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Luka was the 163rd most popular baby name for boys in 2020. Luka was the 221st most popular baby name for boys in 2019, and the name has ranked among the top 500 baby boy names since 2016.
Related names for the name Luka:
Great middle names for Luka and their meanings:
- Alexander (defender of men)
- Bram (father of multitudes, bramble, raven)
- Emmanuel (God is with us)
- Findlay (fair warrior)
- Giovanni (God is gracious)
- Kendrick (royal power, bold power, chief hero)
- Kent (highland, edge, coastal district)
- Sebastian (honorable, venerable, revered)
- Sergei (protector, shepherd)
- Viktor (winner, conqueror, victor)
Famous people with the name Luka:
- Luka Bebić (politician)
- Luka Bloom (singer)
- Luka Bodhi Colicchio (son of chef Tom Colicchio)
- Luka Garza (basketball player)
- Luka Yovetich Jones (actor)
- Luka Lepkowski (son of actor Gerald Lepkowski)
- Luka Sabbat (model)
Luka in popular culture:
- Luka Khalifa (titular protagonist of the book Luka and the Fire of Life by Salmon Rushdie)
- Luka Kovač (character on the television series ER)
- Luka Martin (character in The Vampire Diaries)