Kent is a classic baby boy’s name of English origin that means “coastal district.” Kent comes from the name of a region in England but is probably best known as the civilian surname of superhero Superman, Clark Kent.
Meaning and Origin of the name Kent:
Kent is an English boy's name of Welsh origin meaning “edge” or “coastal district.”
Kent is the name of a county in England that derives from the Welsh word cant, which means “coastal district,” “corner-land,” or “land on the edge.” The land known as Kent was claimed by and ancient Celtic tribe. Since the land was a coastal region, the tribe named it Kent as it was land on the edge.
Symbolism of the name Kent:
Kent is a coastal region in the southeast corner of England. Kent is perhaps best known as the “Garden of England” for its rich countryside.
Nicknames for the name Kent:
Since Kent is a short name with one syllable, there aren't many nicknames for it. The most common nickname is Ken. Below is a list of additional nicknames to give you options when choosing the best nickname for your baby boy.
Style of the name Kent:
Gender of the name Kent:
Kent is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Kent:
Number of syllables in the name Kent:
Emotion evoked from the name Kent:
Kent evokes feelings of honor and pride.
Alternative spellings for the name Kent:
Popularity of the name Kent:
According to the Social Security Administration, Kent is a popular baby boy’s name that was in the top 1000 baby names list from 1903 to 2003. It peaked at #136 in 1962.
Related names for the name Kent:
Great middle names for the name Kent and their meanings:
- Randall (shield-wolf)
- Jameson (son of the supplanter)
- Barrett (bear strength)
- Graham (gravelly homestead)
- Rowley (rough clearing)
- Greyson (son of the steward)
- Brady (broad meadow, large-chested)
- Parker (park-keeper)
- Mason (worker in stone)
- Noah (rest, repose)
Famous people with the name Kent:
- Kent Brantly (American physician and humanitarian)
- Kent Boyd (American dancer)
- Kent Alan Hrbek (American baseball player)
- Kent Jason Desormeaux (American jockey)
- Kent Gemmell Douglas (Canadian ice hockey player)
Kent in popular culture:
- Kent Brockman (television, “The Simpsons”)
- Kent Nelson aka “Doctor Fate” (comics, DC comics)
- Clark Kent aka “Superman” (comics, DC comics)
- Kent Capp (video games, “Sims” series)
- Grayson Kent (television, “Drop Dead Diva”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Tatyana Vyc/Shutterstock.com.