At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Old Fashioned Flaky Apple Dumpling
With an abundance of fresh fron the farm apples, we’ve been doing some serious fall baking. Apple dumplings are always a favorite with our family, and this recipe is the one we use the most. Everyone gets their own individual dessert and can top it any way they like…with ice cream, whipped cream, caramel or just plain.
While putting Mountain Dew into an apple dumpling sounds strange, it’s actually the secret ingredient that adds just the right amount of tartness and sweetness to the recipe. It’s also super easy so you can bake them anytime without having to destroy your kitchen with ingredients and rolling pins everywhere. Try this as a quick and easy version of Apple Dumplings for all the same great taste without the fuss.
Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings
2 Granny smith apples
2 cans flaky crescent rolls*
12 ounces Mt. Dew
2 sticks butter
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
vanilla bean ice cream, whipped cream, or caramel sundae topping for serving
1. Prepare apples by coring, peeling and slicing each into 4wedges.
2. Roll 1 apple wedge in 1 triangle of crescent roll; lay four by four in a 13×9 pan. Check pictures for my favorite way to do this.
3. In a small pot melt butter and sugar until combined.
4. Pour melted butter mixture over crescent rolls. Pour Mt. Dew over rolls. Sprinkle with cinnamon. There will be a lot of magical liquid but it works, promise.
5. Bake at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes until tops are golden brown. Serve warm topped with ice cream or with whipped cream if desired.
*We’ve become less label snobby as of late but after making these with generic crescent rolls last time, we recommend that you stick to Pillsbury for this recipe.