At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Healthy Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
The next time you need to bring something to a bake sale at school or church, try our healthy recipe for oatmeal cookies, they’re a real crowd pleaser, and super easy to make!
We cut the fat and calories by substituting applesauce for the oil found in traditional oatmeal cookie recipes, and using low fat milk instead of the fat and calorie laden whole milk found in other recipes.
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons margarine
1/4 cup applesauce
2 Tablespoons 1% lowfat milk
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup + 2 Tablespoons quick rolled oats
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease cookie sheets.
2. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer on medium speed to mix sugar and margarine. Mix until well blended, about 3 minutes.
3. Slowly add egg; mix on medium speed 1 minute. Gradually add applesauce and milk; mix on medium speed, 1 minute. Scrape sides of bowl.
4. In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Slowly add to applesauce mixture; mix on low speed until blended, about 2 minutes. Add oats and blend 30 seconds on low speed. Scrape sides of bowl.
5. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.
6. Bake until lightly browned, about 13 to 15 minutes. Remove from baking sheet while still warm. Cool on wire rack.
Makes 4 Servings, 2 cookies each, plus 4 servings for another meal or snack
Total fat 4 grams
Saturated fat 1 gram
Cholesterol 27 milligrams
Sodium 84 milligrams