When thinking about uses for mozzarella, you likely will think of mozzarella sticks or pasta. But what about a beef sandwich? We think you probably wouldn't think of that. This is certainly a unique dish, but one that's absolutely worth trying.
These mozzarella beef sandwiches are very simple to make, making them great for a busy night or a night when you just don't feel like cooking. They cook very quickly, meaning dinner can be on the table as soon as possible.
The broccoli side we've included with this recipe can also be prepared quickly. All you need is a microwave, some broccoli, butter, and some seasonings! This broccoli side dish will be tastier than the frozen variety, but it will be virtually just as easy to prepare.
If you have a hard time getting your kids to eat their broccoli, try throwing some Cheddar cheese on while the broccoli is still hot. The cheesiness will delight kids, making them forget that they're eating broccoli! If you're concerned about adding a lot of calories with cheese, simply use a low-fat variety.
Mozzarella Beef Sandwiches and Seasoned Broccoli
1 loaf (1 pound) on sliced French bread
1¼ pounds thinly sliced deli roast beef
1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
1¼ cups (5 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Cut bread in half lengthwise, cut width-wise into 5 portions.
2. On each bread bottom, layer the beef, spaghetti sauce, and cheese.
3. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
4. Broil 4 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted; replace tops. Makes 5 servings.
1½ pounds fresh broccoli, cut into spears
¼ cup water
2 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
½ teaspoon garlic salt
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1. Place the broccoli in a microwave safe bowl, add water.
2. Cover and microwave on high for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender, drain.
3. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Makes 6 servings.