At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Skillet Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese
3½ cups water
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
12 ounces elbow macaroni (3 cups)
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon cornstarch
½ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Bring water, 1 cup of the evaporated milk, macaroni, and ½ teaspoon salt to a simmer in a 12 inch nonstick skillet over high heat, stirring often, until macaroni is tender (8 to 10 minutes).
2. Whisk remaining ½ cup evaporated milk, cornstarch, mustard, and Tabasco sauce together. Stir into skillet.
3. Continue to simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
4. Remove from heat. Stir in cheeses, ½ cup at a time, adding additional water as needed for smooth sauce.
5. Stir in butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Makes 4 servings.
Try one of our favorite 30 Minute Meals: