Last Updated on
Sunday Supper Ham and Sweet Potato Casserole
3 large sweet potatoes, about (10 ounces)
¾ cup water
3 boneless fully cooked ham steaks (½ pound and ¾ inch thick each)
3 Tablespoons butter
1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
½ cup packed dark brown sugar
2 cans (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into chunks.
2. Place in a microwave safe dish; add water. Cover and microwave on high for about 10 minutes or until tender; drain and set aside.
3. Cut ham steaks into halves.
4. In a frying pan, brown ham in butter on both sides.
5. In a bowl, combine pineapple juice and brown sugar; stir until sugar is dissolved.
6. Pour over ham. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until slightly thickened.
7. Transfer ham to a shallow 3 quart baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
8. Place sweet potato and pineapple around edge of dish. Pour brown sugar mixture over the top.
9. Bake, uncovered, at 400°F for 12 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
10. Remove from oven and sprinkle marshmallows around edge of casserole.
11. Return to oven and bake 5 minutes longer or until the marshmallows are golden brown.
Makes 6 servings
4 ounces cooked ham with 1¼ cups potato mixture equals:
16 grams fat (7 grams saturated fat)
68 mg cholesterol
1,220 mg sodium
60 grams carbohydrate
3 grams fiber
23 grams protein.