At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Pork Chops with Apples and Cranberries
Candied Sweet Potatoes
This tastes like a Sunday dinner but is done in less than an hour with minimal prep time. Treat yourself to a good old-fashioned home cooked dinner any night of the week.
Pork Chops with Apples and Cranberries Ingredients:
4 to 6 (3/4 inch) boneless pork chops
Dash kosher salt
Dash black pepper
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion (halved, sliced)
2 cups apple (coarsely chopped)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup apple cider (or apple juice)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Dash ground allspice
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 4 to 6 minutes, or until lightly browned.
2. Remove the onions to a plate and set aside.
3. Add olive oil to the skillet.
4. Sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper then dredge in flour.
5. Brown the pork chops in the hot olive oil for about 2 minutes on each side.
6. Meanwhile, combine the chopped apples with the lemon juice, apple cider, brown sugar, and spices.
7. Pour the apple mixture over the pork chops and add the onions back to the skillet; bring to a simmer.
8. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, then cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes longer.
9. Stir in cranberries and continue cooking for another two or three minutes, just until heated through.
Candied Sweet Potatoes Ingredients:
1 can (40 ounces) sweet potatoes, drained and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 Tablespoon maple syrup
2 cups miniature marshmallows (optional topping)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the sweet potato pieces into a lightly buttered 2 quart baking dish.
2. Mix the remaining ingredients and pour evenly over the sweet potatoes.
3. Bake 40 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time.
4. If you are using the miniature marshmallows as topping, remove the casserole from oven and stir gently to coat potatoes in syrup; then top with the marshmallows.
5. Bake, uncovered, additional 7 to 10 minutes or until the marshmallows are golden brown.