Trying to figure out the best vacation spot for your family – is no easy task. In fact, it can be frustrating! Is the hotel family-friendly? Will it provide things like a crib? What is there to do in the area? In fact, you may wonder if the more expensive options are worth the cost. We will look at some of the most expensive hotels in South Carolina and you can decide if any work for you.
Keep in mind, even though there are lots of expensive options, prices change based on the time of year you travel. That means you may be able to find a fantastic deal on one of these expensive hotels and get it for a much lower price! With that in mind, let's explore why South Carolina should be at the top of your travel list!
7 Reasons Why South Carolina is the Perfect Family Spot
Full of American history and host to one of the best cities in the United States, it’s no wonder South Carolina offers a blend of relaxation, adventure, luxury, and the perfect setting for amazing family fun! Here are 7 reasons why…
- Beautiful Beaches: South Carolina boasts some of the most serene beaches in the United States. From the lovely shores of Hilton Head Island to the pretty coastal scenery of Myrtle Beach, you can create lasting family memories together.
- Rich History and Culture: South Carolina is rich in history and culture. That means families have endless opportunities to learn and explore. For example, take a walk through the cobbled streets of Charleston and view the rich architecture and historic sites that transport you back in time. Visit Fort Sumter, the site of the first shots of the Civil War, or delve into Gullah culture on the Sea Islands, where the unique African-American heritage comes alive.
- Exciting Outdoor Adventures: From hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains to kayaking along picturesque waterways, South Carolina offers a wealth of outdoor adventures for families. Explore the breathtaking scenic trails of Congaree National Park. Also, take the kids wildlife spotting in Francis Marion National Forest or embark on an unforgettable boat tour in the beautiful Lowcountry waters.
- Family-Friendly Attractions: Enjoy a little adventure at the water parks like Myrtle Waves or spend a day of thrills at amusement parks such as Family Kingdom in Myrtle Beach! Discover hands-on learning experiences at the Children's Museum of the Lowcountry. Explore the wonders of marine life at the South Carolina Aquarium.
- Southern Hospitality and Cuisine: Indulge in the mouthwatering barbecue of the South as well as the fresh seafood. Sample traditional Southern dishes. South Carolina's culinary scene has something to satisfy every palate, from family-owned to upscale restaurants!
- Festivals and Events: Explore vibrant festivals and events that celebrate its rich heritage and lively spirit. From the Charleston Wine + Food Festival to the Beaufort Water Festival and the South Carolina State Fair, both kids and parents can immerse themselves in the lively atmosphere and enjoy fun entertainment.
- Diverse Accommodation Options: Not only do you have access to luxurious beachfront resorts with lots of pools and kid-friendly amenities, but also cozy vacation rentals and charming bed and breakfasts. As a result, you'll find the perfect home away from home for your family's needs. Now let’s dive into these amazing family-friendly places to stay!
The Most Expensive Hotels in South Carolina
Now you understand why families love to visit here. With this in mind, let’s focus on the most expensive hotels in South Carolina. Given that the prices are steep, you may find their unique features to be worth the cost after all. Whether you’re considering a couple or family getaway, you have lots of options for a memorable vacation!
The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island Golf Resort
1000 Ocean Course Drive, Kiawah Island, SC 29455
Nestled on Kiawah Island's stunning 10,000 acres, The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island Golf Resort offers a luxurious haven for families seeking a remarkable escape. Accommodations range from your choice of a spacious hotel room, resort villa, or an entire house. Also you have access to a pristine beach and a world-class spa. Imagine relaxing as you unwind with a massage. Or watch your little one build sandcastles as you take in the breathtaking oceanfront views. And there's no shortage of picturesque scenery as you explore the island’s natural wonders. So all things considered, there is something for every family member. For instance, if you’re a golf lover, experience the nation’s most beautiful golf courses! This is where some of the biggest names in golf have made their mark on these championship courses!
Nightly Rate: $700
Why The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort?
The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort is the first LEED-certified luxury hotel in South Carolina, showcasing its commitment to environmental sustainability. Also the hotel's fifth-floor Ocean Room Terrace offers a stunning rooftop bar with panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean, the perfect setting for enjoying cocktails and small plates. Additionally, The Sanctuary features an exclusive Tea Room, offering a refined afternoon tea experience with a selection of teas, delicate pastries, and finger sandwiches. All in all, these special touches contribute to the resort's charm and provide guests with distinctive experiences during their stay.
Family-friendly Nearby Attractions:
- Kiawah Island Marsh Trail: Take a leisurely stroll along the Kiawah Island Marsh Trail, an elevated boardwalk that meanders through the island's scenic marshes. Whether you're spotting birds or observing unique plant life, you will immerse yourselves in the tranquility of nature.
- Dolphin Excursions: Embark on a thrilling dolphin-watching excursion off the coast of Kiawah Island. Board a boat and witness these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat. Not only do you have knowledgeable guides who provide fascinating insights into their behavior but also you ensure a memorable experience for the whole family.
- Kiawah Island Nature Center: Located near The Ocean Course, the nature center offers educational programs and interactive exhibits that showcase the island's unique wildlife and ecosystems. So whether you engage in nature walks or animal encounters, you get a learning experience tailored for all ages.
- Turtles' Nest Art Studio: Located within the Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, this art studio provides a creative space for families to engage in art workshops and classes. At the same time you can unleash your artistic talents and create unique masterpieces together.
- Freshfields Village: Located just outside Kiawah Island, here is where you get to experience a vibrant mix of shops, restaurants, and family-friendly events. For instance, you can explore boutique stores. And while you're there, grab a bite to eat. Also you can attend an outdoor concert or festival often hosted in this charming village.
Montage Palmetto Bluff
477 Mount Pelia Road, Bluffton, SC 29910
Nightly rate: $1500
Here’s where your family’s unforgettable memories are waiting to be created! Explore the stunning natural surroundings through family-friendly activities such as nature walks, kayaking, and dolphin-watching. Let the kids embark on adventures with the Montage Explorers program while you indulge in a spa retreat or date night for an exquisite dining experience. With enhanced safety measures in place, Montage Palmetto Bluff guarantees a worry-free vacation. Discover the perfect family-friendly destination where luxury, excitement, and cherished moments unite.
Why Montage Palmetto Bluff?
One of the largest resorts on the east coast, the Montage Palmetto Bluff is situated within a vast 20,000-acre coastal nature preserve. This luxury hotel provide guests with a secluded and picturesque setting and opportunities for personalized experiences. For example, the spacious and thoughtfully designed accommodations cater to family needs no matter the size. You can choose from cottages, guest rooms, suites, and village homes. As a result, from the moment you walk through the doors, you are greeted with warm hospitality and a range of tailored amenities and services, creating a sense of exclusivity and attention to detail.
Its dedication to conservation and wildlife protection and oyster reef restoration provides guests with opportunities to experience this firsthand. No wonder Condé Nast Traveler calls it the “good old-fashioned Southern getaway you didn’t know you needed”!
Family-friendly Nearby Attractions:
- Palmetto Bluff Conservancy: Take a guided tour, go on nature walks, and learn about the local flora and fauna. The conservancy also offers educational programs and family-oriented events.
- Wilson Landing Marina: Enjoy various water activities for the whole family. For example, you can rent kayaks or paddleboards, embark on a boat tour, or simply enjoy a leisurely stroll along the marina to soak in the coastal ambiance.
- Bluffton Oyster Factory Park: Explore this family-friendly setting for picnics, walking trails, and scenic views. Kids can enjoy the playground, while you appreciate the serene surroundings and watch boats passing by.
- Coastal Discovery Museum: Discover engaging exhibits and educational programs for all ages. For instance, you can learn about the region's unique coastal ecosystem, explore historic structures, and enjoy nature trails.
- Lawton Stables: Take your family for a memorable horseback riding experience at Lawton Stables. Located nearby on Hilton Head Island, the stables offer guided trail rides suitable for all skill levels. Kids can also enjoy meeting friendly farm animals and exploring the petting zoo.
Belmond Charleston Place
205 Meeting Street, Charleston, SC 29401
Nightly Rate: $800
Located in the heart of historic Charleston, here’s where luxury meets southern family-friendly charm! From the moment of arrival at Belmond Charleston Place, children receive a warm welcome full of special amenities and services. This includes a dedicated children's concierge and a wide range of engaging activities to keep them busy during their stay!
Why Belmond Charleston Place?
The iconic Charleston Place blends historic Georgian charm with neoclassical touches to create an unforgettable atmosphere. Relax in style at the rooftop pool with a dedicated kids’ splash zone for endless water play. Soak up the sun and savor refreshing cocktails while basking in breathtaking vistas of the city’s skyline. The hotel provides spacious family suites and connecting rooms to ensure ample privacy and comfort for everyone.
Family-friendly Nearby Attractions
- The South Carolina Aquarium: Explore the various exhibits showcasing marine life from the South Carolina coast and beyond. For instance, you can watch sea turtles, sharks, and other fascinating creatures up close, and engage in interactive experiences for a memorable aquatic adventure.
- Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum: Located just across the harbor from downtown Charleston, Patriots Point offers a unique experience for families interested in military history. Tour the USS Yorktown aircraft carrier, the USS Laffey destroyer, and the USS Clamagore submarine. Not only do you get insights into naval history but visitors can also explore life aboard these historic vessels.
- The Charleston City Market: Immerse your family in the vibrant atmosphere of the Charleston City Market. Stroll through this historic market, housed in a series of open-air buildings, and discover local crafts, artwork, and souvenirs. Enjoy the lively ambiance, street performers, and delicious treats that make this market a favorite for both locals and visitors.
- Magnolia Plantation and Gardens: Just a short drive from downtown Charleston, Magnolia Plantation and Gardens offers a glimpse into the region's rich history and stunning natural beauty. Whether you walk the beautiful gardens, take a nature tram tour, or visit the petting zoo and nature center, you'll want to take lots of pictures! This family-friendly destination provides a unique opportunity to learn about plantation life and enjoy the serenity of the surroundings.
149 Wentworth Street, Charleston, SC 29401
Nightly Rate: $900
The perfect place for a mommy/daddy weekend getaway! Housed in a historic mansion of downtown Charleston, the Wentworth Mansion is a boutique luxury hotel that offers luxurious rooms, grand architecture, a rooftop cupola with panoramic views, a spa, and gourmet dining. The specialized attention to detail creates a truly unforgettable experience, especially for couples. So if you’re seeking a distinct combination of history, luxury, and personalized service, look no further.
Why Wentworth Mansion?
Ascend to the rooftop cupola for breathtaking panoramic views of the historic district, allowing your family to soak in the charm and beauty of Charleston from above while capturing timeless memories. Indulge in the hotel's complimentary afternoon wine and hors d'oeuvres. Not only is this is a delightful treat, but it also brings families together to enjoy delectable bites and fine wines in the elegant common areas. And if you're looking for a little tranquility, the courtyard offers a serene oasis where lush greenery and comfortable seating areas invite you to relax and enjoy family time.
Family-friendly Nearby Attractions:
- The Charleston Museum: This is America's first museum and offers a range of family-friendly exhibits. Both children and adults can explore the natural history, Lowcountry culture, and historic artifacts, providing an educational and engaging experience.
- Children's Museum of the Lowcountry: Discover a host of interactive exhibits, imaginative play areas, and hands-on activities that spark creativity and provide endless entertainment for kids.
- South Carolina Aquarium: A must-visit for families! Explore the underwater world and encounter a variety of marine creatures. Also, kids can enjoy interactive exhibits, touch tanks, and daily animal feedings for an unforgettable aquatic adventure.
- Waterfront Park: Take a leisurely stroll along Charleston's Waterfront Park, situated along the Cooper River. Enjoy the picturesque views of the harbor, relax on the swings, or let the kids play in the splash fountain. This scenic park offers a family-friendly atmosphere and beautiful green spaces.
- Fort Sumter National Monument: Embark on a boat tour to Fort Sumter, the site where the American Civil War began. Kids can learn about this important historical event through exhibits and guided tours. The boat ride and exploring the fort offer a unique experience for the whole family.
The Sea Pines Resort
32 Greenwood Drive, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928
Nightly Rate: $1000
With 5,000 acres of coastal beauty, The Sea Pines Resort offers endless outdoor adventures, from biking along scenic trails to kayaking in tranquil waters. Explore the Sea Pines Forest Preserve and encounter fascinating wildlife up close. Your little ones will be captivated by the variety of kid-friendly activities and programs. For example, introduce your children to golf through the junior golf program with the help of a very attentive staff!
Relax by the poolside or join your children at the water slides and lazy rivers. Take a stroll along the stunning beaches. Let your kids splash in the gentle waves of the Atlantic Ocean. And talk about your family fun while you savor the tasty cuisine.
Why The Sea Pines Resort?
Enjoy a selection of over 400 rental homes and villas that offer conveniently located private accommodations with picturesque views. One of the iconic landmarks of Sea Pines Resort is the Harbour Town Lighthouse. Families can climb to the top of this famous lighthouse, which offers stunning views of the surrounding marina, Harbour Town Golf Links, and Calibogue Sound. This is both an exciting and educational experience for the whole family, providing a unique perspective of the resort and its coastal beauty.
Family-friendly Nearby Attractions:
- Sea Pines Forest Preserve: Discover the natural beauty of Hilton Head Island at the Sea Pines Forest Preserve. Take a leisurely stroll or bike ride through the trails. Not only will you encounter wildlife, but also get to visit the famous “Indian Shell Ring,” an ancient Native American archaeological site.
- The Shops at Sea Pines Center: Discover a collection of boutiques, art galleries, and restaurants at The Shops at Sea Pines Center. Shop for unique gifts, indulge in delicious cuisine, or simply enjoy the relaxed ambiance of this charming shopping destination.
- The Beach Club: Get easy access to the pristine beaches near The Sea Pines Resort. For that reason, you can relax on the sandy shores, swim in the Atlantic Ocean, and soak up the sun in a serene and beautiful setting.
- Harbour Town Golf Links: If you're a golf enthusiast, then you can experience world-class golfing at Harbour Town Golf Links, a renowned golf course located within The Sea Pines Resort. This picturesque course is famous for hosting the RBC Heritage PGA Tour event.
- South Beach Marina Village: Enjoy a laid-back atmosphere with waterfront dining, shopping boutiques, and even a weekly summer concert series. Whether you take a leisurely stroll along the marina or rent a bicycle to explore the surrounding area, you will fall in love with nature here!
Without a doubt, South Carolina offers plenty of expensive hotels that blend elegance, comfort, relaxation and adventure. All things considered, you may find the cost worthwhile as you indulge in its southern charm and create unforgettable family memories!
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Brocreative/Shutterstock.com.