3 rounded cups of 1/2-inch bread cubes (French bread works best)
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup whole milk
1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter the bottom only of a 2-quart casserole or soufflé dish.
2. Combine bread cubes and lemon zest in large bowl. Set aside.
3. Combine whipping cream, milk, sugar, butter and salt in a heavy saucepan. Over medium heat, cook until butter melts, stirring occasionally. Pour over bread mixture, and toss. Allow to cool.
4. Lightly beat the egg yolks, then beat in the lemon juice, and stir into the bread mixture. Set aside.
5. Beat egg whites in large bowl of electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat. Gently fold egg whites into bread mixture.
6. Pour bread mixture into prepared dish, and bake for 1 hour, or until a knife inserted 1 inch from center comes out clean. The top of the pudding should be golden brown.
7. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Halloween is the fun holiday, dressing
From budget worksheets to housecleaning schedules (and everything in between),
Use our free meal plans so you don't have to worry about what's for dinner! They're weekly menus; complete meals with side dishes and recipes. All family pleasing dishes even picky kids will love.