Cheesy Shell Lasagna
1½ pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1 can (14½ ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 jar (14 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
8 ounces uncooked small shell pasta
2 cups (16 ounces) reduced fat cottage cheese
11 slices (8 ounces) reduced fat provolone cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1. In a nonstick frying pan, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
2. Add garlic, Italian seasoning and salt; cook 2 minutes longer. Drain.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and mushrooms. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
5. While beef mixture is simmering, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain.
6. Place half of the pasta in an ungreased 13x9 inch baking dish.
7. Top with half of the meat sauce, cottage cheese and provolone cheese. Repeat layers.
8. Sprinkle final layer with the mozzarella cheese.
9. Cover and bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes.
10. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until the cheese begins to brown.
11. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Makes 8 servings
One serving equals:
19 grams fat (11 grams saturated fat)
75 mg cholesterol
772 mg sodium
42 grams carbohydrate
3 grams fiber
41 grams protein