4 medium chicken breast halves, skinless, boned, and cut into 1-inch strips*
1 cup (14 oz.) tomatoes, cut up**
1 cup low-sodium chili sauce
1 1/2 cups (1 large) green pepper, chopped
1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
1/4 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
as needed nonstick cooking spray
* For convenience, you can use uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast.
** To cut back on sodium, try low sodium canned tomatoes.
1. Spray deep skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat pan over high heat.
2. Cook chicken in hot skillet, stirring, for 3–5 minutes or until no longer pink. Reduce heat.
3. Add tomatoes with juice, low sodium chili sauce, green pepper, celery, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, crushed red pepper, and salt. Bring to boil and reduce heat. Simmer covered for 10 minutes.
4. Serve over hot cooked rice or whole wheat pasta.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 73 mg
Sodium: 383 mg
Total fiber: 4 g
Protein: 30 g
Carbohydrates: 30 g
Potassium: 944 mg