Apple Pie Recipe
This is the best recipe for apple pie for those who want an old-fashioned, perfect tasting apple pie with a flaky crust.
Using fresh apples, a homemade pie crust recipe, and the perfect blend of spices; this is the apple pie that is true delight in every forkful.
Pastry for 2 crusts (recipe here)
8 cups sliced, peeled assorted baking apples - about 3 lbs. (Granny Smith, Cortland, Jonathan)*
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 Tablespoons butter
1 egg yolk
1 Tablespoon milk
1. In a large bowl, toss the sliced apples with lemon juice.
2. Combine sugars, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to apples and toss well to coat.
3. Fill pastry lined 9 inch pie pan with apple mixture. Dot with butter.
4. Place second crust on top of pie filling, cut slits in top of crust to vent. Seal the edges of the crust with a fork or by hand.
5. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk and milk. Brush mixture over top crust.
6. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes.
7. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake 40-45 minutes more or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
*Tips for coring and slicing an apple for equal-sized pieces:
1. Peel first.
2. Hold the apple upright, try to judge where the core is, and slice off two opposite sides as close to the core as possible.
3. Rotate the fruit and slice off the two remaining sides to get a rectangular core piece and four flat-sided pieces of fruit (two wide and two narrow).
4. The side pieces now lie obediently on your cutting board for slicing or dicing.