1 pound white bread slices (dried in a 250°F oven for 1 hour, about 10 to 12 cups torn)
¾ cup butter or margarine
2 cups finely chopped celery
2 cups finely chopped onion
½ cup milk, scalded
3 containers of fresh or canned oysters (16 to 24 ounces total) drained
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon poultry seasoning
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1. Sauté onion and celery in butter.
2. Tear the dried bread up into a large bowl; sprinkle with warm milk then toss to coat.
3. Add onion and celery mixture and the drained oysters.
4. Stir gently to mix ingredients together. Sprinkle with lemon juice, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.
5. Mix thoroughly but gently.