Baby is a universal first name for both genders. Whether used as a diminutive of a longer name or assigned as an identifier, Baby has widespread recognition and charm. Baby is the name of the protagonist of the iconic film Dirty Dancing, and Baby is the stage name of a member of the bestselling female quintet of all time. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Baby:
English: Infant, youngest in group
Origin of the name Baby:
Baby originates from the Middle English word baban (meaning “infant”). Between 1300 and 1400, the English spelling dropped the Germanic ending and placed the hard “-an” suffix with the letter “y” instead. By year 1600, Baby also became a nickname or endearment. And by 1897, Baby began to refer to any person who is the youngest in a group. Alternatively, Baby is a short form of the name Barbara. This name derives from the Greek word βάρβαρος (meaning “foreigner”).
Symbolism of the name Baby:
Baby derives from the Middle English word for “infant” or as a diminutive of the name Barbara (meaning “foreign”). The name Baby appeared among the 1,000 names for several decades beginning in the 1980s. Etymologies cite two reasons for this occurrence. First, infants whose birth certificates are incomplete at registration receive the generic placeholder Baby (indicating “foreign” or “unknown”). Second, Baby became a given name during the 1980s due to the influence of the classic film Dirty Dancing. This movie is the source of the famous line, “Nobody puts Baby in the corner.” In this context, Baby symbolizes perseverance and endurance. It is a symbolic nickname for a person willing to overcome anything.
Style of the name Baby:
Gender of the name Baby:
Baby is a great name for both boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Baby:
Number of syllables in the name Baby:
Emotion evoked from the name Baby:
The name Baby evokes feelings of sweetness and sincerity.
Alternative spellings for the name Baby:
Nicknames for the name Baby:
Popularity of the name Baby:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Baby was the 955th most popular baby name for girls in 2003. Baby was the 945th most popular name for boys in 2005.
Related names for the name Baby:
Great middle names for Baby and their meanings:
- Arian (noble, high-born, silver)
- Analeigh (graceful pasture)
- Cass (treasurer, clever, curly-haired)
- Duncan (chief)
- Ennis (island, first choice)
- Ellis (kind)
- Luna (moon)
- Nevaeh (heavenly)
- Quinn (head, chief, wise counsel)
- Seraphina (ardent, fiery)
Famous people with the name Baby:
- Baby Arizmendi (boxer)
- Baby Halder (memoir writer)
- Baby Constance Irene Theresia Huwae (actress)
- Baby Dodds (jazz drummer)
- Baby-Rae Kirkham (daughter of model Jessica Hart)
- Baby Tate (guitarist)
- Baby Washington (singer)
Baby in popular culture:
- BabyBrasil (stage name of pop performer Bernadete Dinorah de Carvalho Cidade)
- Baby Carlyle (character in Gossip Girl: The Carlyles)
- Baby Houseman (protagonist of the movie Dirty Dancing)
- Baby Sinclair (character on the sitcom Dinosaurs)
- Baby(stage name of Emma Bunton from the bestselling quintet known as The Spice Girls)