Turning surnames into given names is all the rage right now, but new parents were doing that with Barton for nearly a century before it fell out of popularity in 1980. It's time for it to make a comeback. Barton has a bit of a rustic meaning and comes with a great nickname. It pairs well with a number of middle names, and it has been associated with some pretty noteworthy people from the past.
Meaning of the name Barton:
English: Barley farm or settlement
Origin of the name Barton:
Barton was an English surname that most likely began with a family that lived on a barley farm.
Symbolism of the name Barton:
Because of its meaning, the baby name Barton may symbolize harvest or growth.
Style of the name Barton:
Gender of the name Barton:
Barton is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Barton:
Number of syllables in the name Barton:
Emotion evoked from the name Barton:
The baby name Barton evokes images of someone who is cheerful and friendly.
Alternative spellings for the name Barton:
Nicknames for the name Barton:
Popularity of the name Barton:
According to the Social Security Administration, Barton was a top 1,000 baby name for boys up until 1980. It last ranked at number 958 in 1980.
Related names for the name Barton:
Great middle names for Barton and their meanings:
- George (farmer)
- Memphis (beautiful, enduring
- Drake (dragon, male duck)
- James (supplanter)
- Oliver (olive tree)
- Alexander (protector of men)
- Andrew (strong, manly)
- Edward (wealthy guardian)
- Thomas (twin)
- Miles (soldier, merciful)
Famous people with the name Barton:
- Barton Yarborough (actor)
- Barton MacLane (actor, screenwriter, and playwright)
- Barton Lynch (surfer)
- Barton “Bart” Bryant (golfer)
- Barton Booth (actor)
Bartons in popular culture:
- Barton Fink (character in the movie “Barton Fink”)
- Barton Hamilton (character from the Marvel Comics universe)
- Barton Scully (character on the TV show “Masters of Sex”)