At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Pennsylvania Dutch Whoopie Pies
Pennsylvania Dutch Whoopie Pies are a hometown favorite, with chocolate being the original cake flavor. Our recipe for the chocolate cake confection filled with homemade vanilla cream filling tastes like they came fresh from the ovens at the Amish Farmer’s market!
1 cup shortening
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup milk
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup hot water
1 cup shortening
½ cup butter
3 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup half and half
1 ½ Tablespoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.
2. In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup of shortening and white sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the eggs one at a time then stir in the vanilla and milk.
4. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt, stir into the creamed mixture.
5. Stir together the baking soda and hot water then add to the batter.
6. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 8 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm but not over baked. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheets before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
8. To make the filling: In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and butter with the confectioners’ sugar and 1/4 cup of flour until light and fluffy.
9. Gradually beat in the half and half and vanilla until well mixed. Sandwich some filling between the flat sides of two cookies to form each whoopee pie.