At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Three-Cheese Kielbasa Bake
12 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
2 pounds kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and lengthwise and sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced
2 medium carrots, grated
½ teaspoon minced garlic
1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
1 can (14½ ounces) stewed tomatoes
1 egg, lightly beaten
15 ounces ricotta cheese
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups (8 ounces) part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
2 green onions, chopped
Two 13x9x2 inch aluminum baking dishes
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown sausage in oil over medium heat; drain. Add the onions, zucchini, carrots, and garlic; cook and stir for 5-6 minutes until crisp-tender. Drain macaroni when finished, set aside.
2. Stir in spaghetti sauce and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Set aside.
3. Combine egg and ricotta cheese in a bowl and set aside.
4. In each of two greased 13x9x2-inch baking dishes, layer a fourth of the macaroni and meat sauce. Spoon a fourth of the ricotta mixture over each dish. Sprinkle with one fourth of the cheddar and mozzarella. Repeat layers. Top with green onions.
5. Cool, wrap in plastic wrap, and cover with foil and freeze for up to 2 months.
1. Completely thaw one entrée in the refrigerator. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
2. Cover and bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. (If baking one entrée immediately after preparing, bake for 15 minutes, uncover and bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.)
Yield: 2 entrees, 8-10 servings each
Freeze up to: 2 months