Last Updated on
Veggie Pepperoni Pizza Pasta
8 ounces uncooked bow tie pasta
1 large onion, chopped
1½ cups julienned green pepper
1½ cups julienned sweet red pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 can (14½ ounces) petite diced tomatoes with juices
1½ teaspoons dried basil
4 ounces turkey pepperoni, halved and sliced
1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
4 ounces part skim mozzarella cheese, diced
Crushed red pepper flakes, optional
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, sauté the onion, peppers, and garlic in oil until vegetables are crisp tender.
3. Add stewed tomatoes and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in the pepperoni, diced tomatoes, salt, and pepper; simmer for 2 minutes.
5. Drain pasta; add to the tomato mixture.
6. Add cheese and toss well. Sprinkle with pepper flakes if desired.
Yield: 9 servings
One serving (1 cup) equals:
6 g fat (2 g saturated fat)
22 mg cholesterol
585 mg sodium
29 g carbohydrate
3 g fiber
12 g protein
Diabetic Exchanges: 1½ starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable