Date and Nut Bread
The dates in this bread recipe add moistness with a rich flavor that doesn't overpower the bread itself. Serve warm with generous swirls of butter for a pre-Thanksgiving breakfast treat that won't overstuff everyone before the main event.
1½ cups hot water
1½ cups dates, pitted and chopped
2¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
1 egg , beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease loaf pan.
2. Pour the hot water over the dates and let stand until cooled.
3. Sift the flour and baking soda together, then add the sugar and salt.
4. Stir in the cooled dates and water.
5. Add the melted butter, beaten egg, vanilla and walnuts.
6. Mix well. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
7. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour or until a toothpick insert near the center comes out clean.
8. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan and let cool on a wire rack.