Stuffing and Turkey:
6 crusty rolls, about 1 pound broken into small pieces
1 pound ground pork
Turkey giblets, diced
3 apples, cored and chopped, about 5 cups
2 ribs celery chopped, about 2 cups
1 medium onion, chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried sage
½ teaspoon pepper
12-14 pound turkey, thawed if frozen, neck and giblets removed
½ cup butter, melted
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ cup milk
Chicken broth, as needed
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup dry sherry
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. For stuffing, soak roll pieces in water, squeeze almost dry; set aside. In large skillet over high heat cook pork with giblets, breaking up meat with spoon, until browned, about 8 minutes.
2. Remove meat with slotted spoon; set aside. To drippings in skillet add apples, celery and onion; cook until just softened, about 10 minutes.
3. In large bowl combine bread, meat mixture, vegetable mixture, eggs, salt, sage and pepper.
4. Fill turkey body and neck cavities with stuffing; truss, if desired. Place remaining stuffing in covered 6-cup casserole.
5. Place turkey on rack set in roasting pan.
6. Pour melted butter over turkey. Roast, basting every 30 minutes with pan juices, until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180°F 3 to 3½ hours.
7. Place casserole with stuffing in oven 30 minutes before turkey is done. Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving.
8. Meanwhile, for gravy, skim fat from pan juices, reserving 3 tbs. fat. Over two burners on medium heat combine reserved fat with flour in roasting pan; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
9. Combine milk and pan juices with enough broth to equal 2 cups. Add to roasting pan with oregano, salt and pepper; bring to boil.
10. Add sherry, cook until mixture thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Serve with turkey.
Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas with activities every day from December 1st until Christmas Day!