If you're expecting a little boy, then you're likely on the hunt for the perfect name for him. If you want a name that is rich in meaning and intrigue, check out this list of Australian baby names for boys. From Nikau to Birrani to Rongo, this list delivers some beautiful options that ensure a lifetime of love and light!
RELATED: 25 Australian Baby Names
- Taika Taika is an Australian boy name that's on the rise. You might be familiar with it thanks to famous Hollywood director Taika Waititi.
- Birrani Birrani is an Australian boy name from the Wiradjuri people. It means “warrior.”
- Manaia Manaia is a boy name in Australia. It comes from a mythological creature that moves between worlds, so it means “spiritual messenger,” but it can also mean “embellishment” thanks to its popularity on jewelry and other tokens.
- Ihaia Ihaia is an Australian boy name that derives from Isaiah. It means “God is salvation.”
- Maliyan Maliyan is an Australian boy name that will really soar. It means “wedge-tailed eagle” in the traditional language of the Gomeroi tribes.
- Tawhiri Tawhiri is an unusual Australian boy name. Pronounced “tah FEE ree,” it derives from Tawhiri-matea, a weather god who controlled snow, wind, rain and storms.
- Allambee Allambee is a boy's name in Australia that means “quiet place.” Variations of the spelling include Alambi and Alambee.
- Nikau Nikau is a popular Australian boy name in Maori communities. It's the name of a palm tree native to New Zealand.
- Daku Daku is an Australian boy name that means “sand dune.” It comes from the Diyari people of southern Australian who live in a desert region and have sand dunes in abundance.
- Manaaki Manaaki is a loving Australian boy name. It's from the Maori language, and it means “nurture,” “cherish,” “protect” or “sustain.”
- Koa Koa is a boy's name in Australia that's sure to shine bright. It means “joy” or “happiness.”
- Miro Miro is an Australian boy name that comes from the Nyungar language. Also spelled Mero or Meero, it means “spear,” so it was a very important term in the days of hunters and gatherers.
- Tane Tane is an Australian boy name that literally means “man” but can also mean “god of the forest.” It's pronounced with two distinct syllables: “tah NEH.”
- Jericho Jericho is an Australian boy name. While its origins aren't from down under, it's a popular name with the locals thanks to the city of Jericho, Queensland.
- Ari Ari is an Australian boy name with disputed origins. Though it's commonly understood to mean “bright” or “visible” in Polynesian languages, it has also Hebrew roots with the meaning “lion of God.”
- Yannathan Yannathan is an Australian boy's name that you can find on maps of Victoria. Even more importantly, it sounds like “Jonathan,” so it's fun and unique while still being somewhat familiar.
- Tangaroa Tangaroa is an Australian boy name from indigenous mythology. He's the god of the sea and the fish.
- Djalu Djalu is a boy name from Australia that means “lightning.” Its exact origins are unknown, but it's considered a legacy name from old Aboriginal tribes.
- Gurumarra Gurumarra is a unique Australian boy name. Meaning “dry lightning” or “lightning without thunder,” it'll be a mighty moniker for a superhero of a little boy.
- KaiKai is a short and simple Australian boy name. It can be traced back to the country's Aboriginal cultures, but it's also quite common in places like Japan and Korea.
- Rongo Rongo is an out-of-this-world Australian boy name. It's the name for Saturn in several indigenous languages.
- Stirling Stirling is an Australian boy name. Instantly recognizable to residents of Stirling of Adelaide Hills, it can also be spelled Sterling to give it a more Western feeling.
- Mikaere Mikaere is an Australian boy name that might sound familiar. It's the Maori version of Michael or “who is like God.”
- Illuka Illuka is an Australian boy name that's pronounced “eye LOO ka.” It originates from the Bndajalong language of New South Wales, and it has many potential nicknames such as Luka or Illy.
- Ngarran Ngarran is a beautiful and unusual Australian boy name. It comes from Gomeroi and refers to the first light of the sky at dawn.
Peruse thousands of baby names on MomsWhoThink.com! And follow us on Pinterest for more parenting inspiration!