Annika is a surprise baby name in America in modern times. The name did not become popular in the United States until the 1990s, but it did spend some time on the top 300 list. As of 2020, it is even a top 900 name for girls.
Meaning of the name Annika:
German: gracious, merciful
Origin of the name Annika:
Annika is the Swedish and German version of the baby name Anne. Anna comes from the Hebrew name Channah as seen in the Old Testament, spelled Hannah. The Middle Ages helped to spread both of these names via the growth of the Christian church.
Symbolism of the name Annika:
Annika originates from the baby name Anna. It, therefore, has the same meaning in both Sweden and Germany.
Style of the name Annika:
Gender of the name Annika:
Annika is a very European-sounding girl baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Annika:
Number of syllables in the name Annika:
Emotion evoked from the name Annika:
Annika feels sweet and wholesome. It has some nobility and feels upper class.
Alternative spellings for the name Annika:
Nicknames for the name Annika:
- Ni Ni
- Ki Ki
Popularity of the name Annika:
The baby name Annika became a top 1,000 name in America in 1995 at rank 971. It moved to a top 300 placement for one year in 2003 at rank 284. As of 2020, Annika is rank 835 for girls.
Related names for the name Annika:
Great middle names for Annika and their meanings:
- Helen (light, bright)
- Rachel (ewe)
- Saoirse (freedom)
- Naomi (pleasant one)
- Madeline (high tower, woman from Magdala)
- Marin (sailor)
- Brynn (hill, mound)
Famous people with the name Annika:
- Annika Dries (water polo player)
- Annika Sorenstam (golfer)
- Annika Beck (tennis player)
- Annika Lurz (Olympic swimmer)
- Annika Coffman (reality TV star, “Kids Baking Championship”)
- Annika Marks (actress, “The Sessions”)
Annikas in popular culture:
- Annika Settergren (character from “Pippi Longstocking”)
- Annika Giannini (character from “The Millennium Series”)
- Annika Hansen (character from “Star Trek: Voyager”)
- Annika (character from “The Dragon Prince”)
- Annika (character from “Barbie's Magic of the Pegasus”)