Bobbie is a baby girl’s name that was popular for most of the 20th century. It means “bright flame” or “foreign”. Bobbie is a feminine form of the popular masculine nickname Bobby. It is a diminutive of Robert or Barbara.
Meaning of the name Bobbie:
English: bright fame
Origin of the name Bobbie:
Bobbie is a baby girl’s name of English and Greek origin. In English, it is a diminutive of Roberta, meaning “bright flame”. In Greek, it is a diminutive of Barara, meaning “foreign”.
Symbolism of the name Bobbie:
Bobbie means “bright flame” in English. Flames, and fire, are often symbols of purity, war, conflict, rebirth, and protection from evil.
Style of the name Bobbie:
Gender of the name Bobbie:
Bobbie is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Bobbie:
Number of syllables in the name Bobbie:
Emotion evoked from the name Bobbie:
Bobbie evokes feelings of friendliness and kindness.
Alternative spellings for the name Bobbie:
Bobby, Bobbi, Bobie, Bobi
Nicknames for the name Bobbie:
Popularity of the name Bobbie:
According to the Social Security Administration, Bobbie is a popular baby girl’s name. Bobbie was in the top 1000 baby names list from 1900 to 1997. It peaked in 1934 at #110.
Related names for the name Bobbie:
Great middle names for the name Bobbie and their meanings:
- Melia (work)
- Katherine (pure)
- Cassandra (prophetess)
- Delia (born on the island of Delos)
- Nell (bright, shining one)
- Pippa (lover of horses)
- Eva (life)
- Mae (bitter, pearl)
Famous people with the name Bobbie:
- Bobbie Gentry (American singer)
- Bobbie Diane Eakes (American singer)
- Bobbie Ann Mason (American novelist)
- Fanny “Bobbie” Rosenfeld (Canadian Olympic runner)
- Ester “Bobbie” Heine Miller (South African tennis player)
Bobbies in popular culture:
- Barbara Jean “Bobbie” Spencer (television, “General Hospital”)
- Roberta “Bobbie” (literature, “The Railway Children” by E. Nesbit)
- Roberta “Bobbie” Draper (literature, “Expanse” series by James S. A. Corey)
- Bobbie (comics, “Spawn”)
- Bobbie (film, “Open Season” series)