Dixie has dropped in popularity as a name for the south, just like it has a baby name. It is hard to believe that in the mid-twentieth century, Dixie was a top 200 name. Despite this decline, Dixie still has a fun and lighthearted feel.
Meaning of the name Dixie:
Latin: I have spoken, tenth
French: I have spoken, tenth
Origin of the name Dixie:
The baby name Dixie became a standard name in the 1800s after the French word for ten, “dix,” was printed on $10 bills in a specific bank in New Orleans. This town was known for mostly still speaking in the French language in these times. For that reason, Dixie was born out of Louisiana.
Symbolism of the name Dixie:
The baby name Dixie means “tenth” as “dix” is the French word for “ten.” It could also mean “I have spoken,” as the name comes from New Orleans in the 1800s, where the French language was still primarily spoken.
Style of the name Dixie:
Gender of the name Dixie:
Dixie is a girl's name with a cute and country-like feel.
Pronunciation of the name Dixie:
Number of syllables in the name Dixie:
Emotion evoked from the name Dixie:
Dixie feels fun, lighthearted, and young. It has a country feel to it too that almost lacks seriousness.
Alternative spellings for the name Dixie:
Nicknames for the name Dixie:
- Di Di
Popularity of the name Dixie:
The baby name Dixie was a top 1,000 name in 2015 at rank 941. Ever since then, it has not even appeared on the top 1,000 list. The name reached its highest on the top 200 list from 1935 to 1942.
Related names for the name Dixie:
Great middle names for Dixie and their meanings:
- Caroline (strong)
- Gwendolyn (fair bow, blessed ring)
- Susannah (graceful lily)
- Jane (God is gracious)
- Lynn (living near a lake or waterfall)
- Jolene (God will increase)
- Miranda (to be wondered at)
- Rosanna (rose, gracious rose)
- Yvonne (yew)
Famous people with the name Dixie:
- Dixie Carter (actress, “Designing Women”)
- Dixie Willson (children's author, “Honey Bear”)
- Dixie Willis (Olympic runner)
- Dixie Graves (Alabama Senator)
- Dixie Haygood (magician)
- Dixie Selden (painter)
Dixies in popular culture:
- Dixie Martin (character from “All My Children”)
- Dixie (character from “PeeWee's Playhouse”)
- Dixie Kong (character from “Donkey Kong” video games)
- Dixie McCall (character from “Emergency!”)