Emir is a classic name that’s popular for baby boys in the Balkan countries and in Turkey. However, it stems from an Arabic honorific name for a male ruler or one who held a high rank in the military or political world. Prior to that, the term “emir” was used to refer in general to a “commander” or a “leader”.
Meaning of the name Emir:
Turkish, Bosnian, and Arabic for “prince, ruler”.
Origin of the name Emir:
Emir is a name derived from the Arabic term “emir”. In 1593, it entered the English language based on the French word “émir”. The Arabic term was historically used to refer to a “commander”. Eventually, it became a male monarchial term. This title has roots throughout Arabic-speaking countries as well as in West Africa, East Africa, and the Indian subcontinent. On the religious side, the term was used as a title or a name for the Islamic prophet Muhammad.
Symbolism of the name Emir:
The prince symbolizes someone who is in command, destined to lead, and one worth listening to.
Style of the name Emir:
Gender of the name Emir:
Since Emir stems from the term for a male monarch, it’s only ever been used as a male name.
Pronunciation of the name Emir:
Number of syllables in the name Emir:
Emotion evoked from the name Emir:
The baby boy name Emir evokes feelings of strength and refinement.
Alternative spellings for the name Emir:
Nicknames for the name Emir:
Popularity of the name Emir:
According to the Social Security Index, Emir ranked #650 in 2020, which was a bit higher than its 2019 ranking of #920. It remains more popular in other countries as it ranked #14 in Bosnia-Herzegovina in 2019 and #18 in Turkey in 2020.
Related names for the name Emir:
Great middle names for Emir and their meanings:
- Jamal (beauty)
- Kahlil (friend)
- Khalid (immortal, everlasting)
- Malik (king; wave)
- Rashid (righteous, rightly advised)
- Sa’id (lucky, happy)
- Sami (exalted)
- Yasir (wealthy, prosperous)
- Zayd (increase, growth)
Famous people with the name Emir:
- Emir (Turkish pop singer)
- Emir Bekrić (Serbian hurdler)
- Emir Işılay (Turkish musician)
- Emir Kusturica (Serbian filmmaker)
- Emir Lokmić (male Alpine skier)
- Emir Mkademi (Tunisian football player)
- Emir Mutapčić (Bosnian basketball player/coach)
- Emir Preldžič (Turkish basketball player)
- Emir Spahić (Bosnian football player)
Emirs in movies/pop culture:
- Emir (character in the 1977 film “Emanuelle Around the World”)
- Emir(character in the Turkish TV drama “Kara Sevda” / “Endless Love”)
- Emir Varol (character in the Turkish TV action drama “Çukur”)