When you hear the unisex name Glen, you may first think of the longer option, Glenn. The former is a variation of the latter, however. Though no longer a top 1,000 option for boys or girls, Glen is a top 3,400 name choice.
Meaning of the name Glen:
Scottish: narrow valley
Origin of the name Glen:
Glen is a variation of Glenn. Glenn was originally a surname in Scotland that came from the word “gleann.” Both names spread to America in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
Symbolism of the name Glen:
Glen means “narrow valley” because of the original name, Glenn. Remember, it was a variation of the Gaelic word “gleann.” “Gleann” translates to “valley” in English.
Style of the name Glen:
Gender of the name Glen:
Glen is a simple name for boys or girls. It is much more common for the former, however.
Pronunciation of the name Glen:
Number of syllables in the name Glen:
Emotion evoked from the name Glen:
Glen is a wholesome and kind name. It is mature and simple.
Alternative spellings for the name Glen:
Nicknames for the name Glen:
Popularity of the name Glen:
Glen was a top 1,000 name option in America until 2003 when it was number 970. Glen was on the top 200 list, however, until 1971. It was most popular in 1931 at rank 112. As of 2021, Glen is a top 3,400 option.
Related names for the name Glen:
Great middle names for Glen and their meanings:
- Sloane (man of arms, warrior)
- Lucas (bright, shining, man from Lucania)
- Nathan (gift of God, He gave)
- Arthur (bear)
- Christina (follower of Christ)
- Ida (industrious, prosperous)
- Imogen (maiden, innocent)
- Shirley (bright meadow)
Famous people with the name Glen:
- Glen Campbell (country music singer)
- Glen Hansard (singer, actor, “Once”)
- Glen Boss (jockey)
- Glen Cook (author)
- Glen Davis (NBA player)
- Glen Gould (pianist)
- Glen Benton (bassist for Deicide band)
Glens in popular culture:
- Glen Bishop (character from “Mad Men”)
- Glen (character from “Glen or Glenda”)
- Glen Elg (character from “Ace Attorney” video game)
- Glen Lantz (character from “A Nightmare on Elm Street”)