Lillian is a floral name with a refined and serious side. It was popularized in the early 1900s through silent film actress Lillian Gish, even earning a place on the top 10 spots. Though not as popular as it once was, the name is a popular flower name that is available now that represents innocence and all beauty.
Meaning of the name Lillian:
Latin: flower, lily, pledged to God
Origin of the name Lillian:
The name Lillian is an English name that was created as an alternative to the name Lily during the 16th century. It still retains the meaning of the flower Lily, however. The word “lily” also originates from the Latin word “lilium,” which is similar to the name Lillian. Some do also say that Lillian was created as a pet name of sorts for the traditional English name Elizabeth.
Symbolism of the name Lillian:
The baby name Lillian means lily just like the name Lily or Liliana. Each of these names are meant to represent purity and beauty, as the lily is considered one of the purest of all of the other flowers.
Style of the name Lillian:
The style of the name Lillian is traditional, dating back to 16th century England.
Gender of the name Lillian:
The gender of the baby name Lillian is for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Lillian:
LILL-ee-uhn or lill-ee-en
Number of syllables in the name Lillian:
There are three syllables in the baby name Lillian.
Emotion evoked from the name Lillian:
Lillian is slightly more serious than the more simply Lily or the more feminine Liliana. This gives the name refinement and emotions of sincerity and regality.
Alternative spellings for the name Lillian:
Nicknames for the name Lillian:
Popularity of the name Lillian:
The name Lillian was in the number 10 spot in the years 1900 and 1901. It remained on the top 20 list until the year 1923, then remained on the top 50 list until 1932. After leaving the top 100 list in 1941, the name Lillian continually declined until 2002. The year 2002 saw the name Lillian at number 96, rising to the top 50 list again in 2005. In 2020, it ranked at number 46.
Related names for the name Lillian:
Great middle names for Lillian and their meanings:
- Claire (clear)
- Eve (life, living)
- Kit (bearing Christ)
- Nora (fire, light, heal)
- Paige (assistant, helper)
- Ruth (friend)
- Sage (herb, prophet)
- Edith (riches, blessed)
Famous people with the name Lillian:
- Lillian Gish (actress, nicknamed “The First Lady of American Cinema”)
- Lillian Griego (professional journalist)
- Lillian Hepler (pop singer)
- Lillian Liu (professional photographer)
- Lillian Powell (professional dancer)
- Lillian Adams (actress, “The Jerk”)
- Lillian Roth (actress, “Animal Crackers”)
- Lillian Bond (actress, “The Old Dark House”)
- Lillian Hellman (playwright, “Toys in the Attic”)
Lillians in popular culture:
- Lillian Rearden (character in the book “Atlas Shrugged”)
- Lillian van der Woodsen (character on “Gossip Girl”)
- Lillian DeVille (character on “Rugrats”)
- Lillian Truscott (character on “Hannah Montana”)
- Lillian Aldrin (character on “How I Met Your Mother”)
- Lillian Donovan (character in “Bridesmaids”)