Lilian is a lovely classic baby name for girls. As one of the most popular names of the early 20th century, Lilian has undergone a recent revival and remains as relevant as ever. Lilian is the name of a character in the Flash Gordon series, and Lilian Kaushtupper was also a character in the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt series. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Lilian:
Latin: Graceful lily
Hebrew: My God is an oath
Origin of the name Lilian:
Lilian originates as a medieval pet name for Elizabeth. The nickname arose in English nurseries as an alteration of Lilibet or Lizbeth. The name Elizabeth is the Middle English spelling of the Greek name Ἐλισάβετ. This name ultimately comes from the Hebrew אֱלִישֶׁבַע (‘Elisheva'). The Hebrew translation is “my God is an oath.” Lilian may also originate from the Late Latin lilium (meaning “lily flower”) or as a combination of the names Lilli and Ann (meaning “grace”).
Symbolism of the name Lilian:
Lilian is a nickname for Elizabeth or a blend of the names Lilli and Ann. It can also derive from the scientific term lilium (meaning “lily flower”). The symbol of this name is the pure white lotus or lily.
Style of the name Lilian:
Gender of the name Lilian:
Lilian is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Lilian:
Number of syllables in the name Lilian:
Emotion evoked from the name Lilian:
The name Lilian evokes feelings of perfection and promise.
Alternative spellings for the name Lilian:
Nicknames for the name Lilian:
Popularity of the name Lilian:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Lilian was the 639th most popular baby name for girls in 2021.
Related names for the name Lilian:
Great middle names for Lilian and their meanings:
- Amber (resin, precious gemstone)
- Brígh (strength, power)
- Cherie (darling, beloved, dear)
- Dairine (fruitful, abundant)
- Daphne (laurel tree)
- Enid (spirit, purity, life)
- Harmony (accord, agreement, pleasant tones)
- Marietta (little Mary, star of the sea)
- Olwen (fair footprint)
- Pilar (column, pillar)
- Sarina (princess, lady)
Famous people with the name Lilian:
- Lilian Jackson Braun (writer)
- Lilian Mary Baylis (theater producer)
- Lilian Margery Bennett (businesswoman)
- Lilian Anette Börjesson (badminton player)
- Lilian May Davies (princess)
- Lilian Annette Garcia (singer and wrestling ring announcer)
- Lilian Rachel Greenwood (politician)
- Lilian Maria Johanna Sibertha Helder (politician)
- Lilian Masediba Matabane Ngoyi (anti-apartheid activist)
- Lilian Vera Rolfe (secret agent)
Lilian in popular culture:
- Lilian (character in the Flash Gordon series)
- Lilian Kaushtupper (character in the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt series)